Donate to SPHR
Please show your support for the Speech and Hearing Sciences Department with an item showcasing our new logo. You can purchase laptop bags, iPad sleeves, t-shirts, totes, mugs and many other items with the logo. You can find these items at our online store.
Donations to Portland State’s Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences are always needed and appreciated. Gifts from our alumni and friends help to improve student learning and faculty research that, in turn, benefit individuals and their families with communication disorders in our community.
Why is my support needed?
Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) make a difference in the lives of every person they work with, whether it is a young child who does not speak clearly, a neighbor who has a hearing loss, or a grandfather who has problems talking or understanding speech following a stroke. Our work is transformational! There is a great demand for SLPs across the US and in the general Portland metropolitan area. Our graduates will provide necessary services and leadership in the community for those who cannot speak for themselves.
What are the funding priorities?
- Scholarships. In order to address state shortages of speech-language pathologists and audiologists we need to recruit and retain excellent students by offering them attractive and competitive scholarship funds. We want to be able to attract the best and brightest students by offering them attractive and competitive scholarships. Our goal: to significantly increase the amount of merit- and need-based scholarships for the top 20% of our students.
- Travel. Student travel scholarships permit students to present their work at national and international meetings. Our goal: to offer travel scholarships to our students to enable them to present their work at national meetings and to be ambassadors for our university.
- Services for children with disabilities are often not covered by insurance and most adults find their coverage falls short of what they actually need. Clinical scholarships offset the cost of treating those who could otherwise not afford this care. Our goal: to remove financial barriers to helping clients who would not otherwise be able to afford clinical services.
Facilities, Classrooms & Laboratories
- To continue to offer pre-eminent teaching, scholarship and clinical work we require state-of-the-art clinical facilities, classrooms and laboratories. As the demand for our graduates grows and the state of technology advances, we need facilities that will support these changes. Our goal: to create a site for faculty and students to work collaboratively on the varied and complex problems of individuals with communication problems.
How can I help?
There are many ways to support the mission of the Department of Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences.
Individual Giving Gift Ideas
Gifts may be made
- In honor of a favorite faculty member
- To congratulate a current student
- In memory of a loved one
A gift of any amount can build scholarship funds.
- A $100 gift makes it possible for us to supply students with new therapy materials.
- A $200 gift allows us to purchase up-to-date diagnostic materials.
- A $500 gift allows us to refresh computers in student and research labs.
- A $1000 gift allows a student to stay in school.
- Become an Annual Fund donor to support scholarships for our best students.
Donations to the Department are always needed and appreciated. You can mail a check payable to Portland State University Foundation, indicating on the memo line of your check to which fund you are contributing:
- Speech & Hearing Program Fund
- Sandy-Jo Harrison-Edlefson Scholarship Fund for Speech-Language & Hearing Graduate and Undergraduate Students
- Joan McMahon Endowed Scholarship for Student Travel
Checks may also be mailed to the following address:
Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences
85 Neuberger Hall
724 SW Harrison Street
Portland, OR 97201
For more information on ways to give, please call:
Christina Gildersleeve Neumann, PhD - Department Chair
Rebecca Field, Office Manager