About the Department
Thank you for your interest in our department. Our Speech and Hearing Sciences' undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and graduate programs offer a range of challenges and opportunities for professional and personal growth. We are proud of the unique clinical and educational experiences we offer our students. The faculty, staff, and students help to make this a program of excellence. The rigorous academic programs and variety of clinical experiences help to ensure that our graduates are well-prepared for their future professional work. Our location in the heart of Portland gives our students access to a wealth of clinical sites and provides unlimited cultural and recreational opportunities.
Why choose the Speech & Hearing Sciences Department at PSU?
We believe that our most valuable resource is our people: students, staff, and faculty. Together we make the department an enjoyable place to learn, grow, and work. The faculty is nationally recognized for their innovative scholarship, teaching, and clinical skills.
- We teach the most current, evidence-based information using state-of-the-art techniques. We emphasize the importance of life-long learning and the importance of being a critical consumer.
- We produce research that generates new knowledge, and we share that knowledge with local, national, and international professional and scientific communities.
- We provide excellent professional service to our students, the University, the Profession, and to our communities. Our clinical training program and professional clinic emphasizes family-centered care from a whole-person perspective.
What else makes PSU’s Department of SPHR a special place?
- Courses have an interdisciplinary focus
- Academic and clinical experiences emphasize cultural and linguistic diversity, ethical responsiveness, and professionalism
- Availability of graduate electives in specialized areas, including: medical speech-language pathology, cleft lip and palate, autism, bilingual speech and language topics, neuroimagin, medical speech-language pathology, ethics, and professional issues.
The Speech and Hearing Sciences faculty is proud of the unique clinical and educational experiences we offer our students in both on-campus activities and off-campus outreach.
Our excellent faculty, diverse student body, rigorous academic programs, and variety of clinical sites help to ensure that our graduates are well-prepared for their future professional work. Our location in the heart of Portland gives our students access to a wealth of clinical sites and provides unlimited cultural and recreational opportunities. We encourage you to explore our Web site so you can learn about what makes our program so special. Please take a moment to read about us, and be sure to check out these highlights:
- The scholarship of our faculty reflects the interdisciplinary nature of the professions. The faculty is professionally engaged and well respected locally and nationally, while remaining committed to helping our students succeed.
- We offer a variety and diversity of clinical placement opportunities. The SPHR Speech & Language Clinic is open to the public and offers a full range of pediatric and adult diagnostic and intervention services.
- Our students are engaged with the University and the community through activities sponsored by the National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
- Visit our online store, with products featuring artwork by Portland artist Ursula Barton.
- Learn about how to apply for our graduate program.
- See what professional development opportunities we are offering in 2015!
- Access the Academic Calendar to find dates and deadlines.
- Find your way to our department in Neuberger Hall on the campus map
- See who came to the SPHR 50th Reunion.
The master's degree in speech-language pathology at Portland State University in the Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.