VIL Online Learning Requirements
Envision online learning...
- Web-based courses support you to learn new skills, complete assignments and interact with professors and classmates from your own computer.
- Program faculty work with you to arrange field experiences and apply newly acquired skills in your home community.
- Learning in an online environment offers more flexibility while also requiring more self direction and self motivation.
Distance education students must have:
- Access to a personal, reliable DSL, cable or wireless network
- A personal computer (Windows preferred); the Macintosh operating system often will not accommodate assistive technology developed for the visually impaired, and often may be unable to share files.
- A sound card installed, with speakers or headphones
- Ability to play DVDs
- Ability to use interactive CD ROMs
- Access to a Web browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. AOL browsers will not work.
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Word
- Windows Media Player - or comparable media player
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Braille fonts
Distance education students must have the following basic skills:
- Ability to use email, including knowing how to attach files to emails
- Ability to name, save and edit Microsoft Word files
- Ability to use digital photographs
- Ability to use Internet search engines
- Ability to download, install and uninstall software
PSU Online offers a set of self-assessments to determine whether you meet minimum requirements for online coursework: Are you ready for online coursework?