Explore the Law Program
Now Accepting application for the 2015-2016 school year!
**Applications are due by Friday, May 29th at Midnight - Late or incomplete applications will not be considered
What is it?
Explore the Law is a free program for P.S.U. Students to explore, prepare for and pursue careers in law through a partnership between Portland State University, the Oregon State Bar and the Multnomah Bar Association. We particularily encourage P.S.U students from traditionally under-represented communities to apply for this great program.
- Oregon State Bar's definition of diversity web page
- Multnomah Bar Association's definition of diversity web page
- Portland State University's definition of diversity web page
Through the program we hope that diverse students will connect with role models, learn how to prepare, apply and finance law school, recognize their opportunities for legal careers in our community, and learn how to access pre law advising and other appropriate resources at P.S.U. and in the community at large.
The program duration is one academic year, starting in September and ending in June.
What do students gain?
By participating in Explore the Law students will obtain access to various networking opportunities with local attorneys, law students and law schools. Students will receive guidance from professionals on how to prepare for job shadows, interviews, and law school.
In June, when students have completed the program requirements, there will be a ceremony to award all the participants of the program a certificate of completion.
Who is Eligible?
All P.S.U. students who can demonstrate a commitment to advancing the goal of the program. Applications are accepted in Spring term for the next academic year.
What is required of students?
To participate in Explore the Law students must submit an application. Once the student has been accepted they will participate in the following activities:
- Attend events sponsored by Explore the Law committee;
- Attend mandatory meetings;
- Attend an training regarding information interviews and job shadowing; and
- Complete items from the following:
- Informational interview/Job shadowing
- Visit court for a day
- Visit a law school class
- Attend the law school fair
- Meet with a Law school Advisor
- Attend a Pre Law Society Event
- Complete a personal statement
*activities for the 2015-16 school year may vary