Student Legal Services can assist with simple employment issues that do not involve Portland State University or other Portland State students. If we are not able to assist you, we may be able to provide a referral to a private attorney who can.
Common issues in this area include:
- Wage claims;
- Unemployment claims;
- Discrimination claims (race, gender, disability, age, and sexual orientation);
- Sexual harassment claims;
- Medical leave issues; and
- Workplace safety issues.
Student Legal Services does not assist with workers' compensation claims, but can provide an appropriate referral.
Student Legal Services advises all students to:
- Maintain a detailed calendar of your work hours;
- Keep copies of all your pay stubs;
- Document all non-routine or unusual encounters with supervisors or other employers;
- Keep a journal of any harassing or discriminatory actions; and
- Read any contract for employment carefully prior to signing.
- New Sick Leave Ordinance
- Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries
- U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Background Checks and the Fair Debt Reporting Act:
Unemployment claims and student status:
Unemployment Claim Filing Information:
- Benefit Eligibility Requirements
- Issues That Could Affect Benefits
- Payment Options: Electronic Deposit or ReliaCard Visa
- Filing a Claim From Another State
If you are an eligible P.S.U. student and have questions about an employment matter, please contact our office to schedule a consultation.