SLS assists PSU students with consumer law matters during our walk-in hours which are posted here. Common issues in these areas include:
- ID theft;
- Consumer protection and fraud;
- Debt collections, including negotiating settlements and stoppingharassment;
- Credit report disputes; and
- New and used automobile sales.
SLS advises all students to:
- Read all contracts very carefully before signing.
- Keep all correspondence from debt collectors and anyone else seeking payment.
- Thoroughly document all interactions with anyone seeking to collect payment on debts, include dates and times and the name of the person you talked to (if possible).
- Be wary of internet scams and generally avoid providing sensitive financial and/or personal information online.
- Do not wait to be sued before contacting SLS or creditors directly regarding debts. If you are sued, take action immediately.
- Obtain a free credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies (TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian) every year.
SLS can help you with a consumer law matter during our walk-in hours. Please bring any and all of the following documents with you to walk-ins to help expedite the process:
- Credit card/bank statements related to the debt
- All correspondence from collection agencies or the banks/cc companies themselves
- Any court documents if suit has been filed
- Credit report
- Any docuemnts (letters, e-mails, contracts, etc.) related to the transaction