About Student Legal Services
To be recognized by our students and constituents as providing outstanding legal services that enhances student success.
We encourage students’ full participation in their academic endeavors by helping navigate obstacles to fulfilling educational and career goals. We pursue our mission through legal advice, representation, mentorship, community partnerships and education to empower student clients.
- Retention: To provide students with access to the justice system and to legal information in support of student success and well-being.
- Academic Success: To provide consultation that reinforces student involvement, ownership, and accountability.
- Diversity: To be responsible for understanding and being sensitive to the diverse communities represented within P.S.U.
- Education: To remain knowledgeable about the legal issues confronting the P.S.U. student community and to be committed to the highest levels of competency in our efforts to assist student clients in resolving legal problems.
- Community: To interact in a positive, meaningful manner with all components of Portland State University.
- Collaboration: To be especially responsive to the needs and concerns of other units providing student services and programs.
Student Legal Services was initiated in 1975 by the Associated Students of Portland State University (ASPSU) in recognition of the need of P.S.U.'s students to have access to affordable legal services. From 1975 to 1981 Student Legal Services was staffed with only a coordinator/attorney - Bernard Stea. Over the past 36 years Student Legal Services has had 7 different coordinators/directors and has gradually added 5 additional full time staff positions, 2 law clerk positions and 3 student positions. The current Director of Student Legal Services is Dick Slottee.