Testing Services proctors make-up exams for current PSU students who miss in-class exams due to illness or other circumstances. This service is offered as a courtesy to faculty who are not able to proctor make-up exams for students. Students must receive instructor approval prior to taking a make-up exam with Testing Services. We cannot guarantee space without an appointment, and require students to make their appointments through our online scheduling system.
If you are registered through the Disability Resource Center and receive testing accommodations, click here to find out how to schedule and exam with accommodations to be taken in SHAC Testing Services. Do not schedule a "make-up exam" if you wish to receive your accommodations, as you will be charged a $12 fee and will not receive your granted accommodations.
A $12 proctoring fee will be billed to the student's PSU account for each exam taken with Testing Services.
Approval for Proctoring
Students are responsible for:
- Receiving instructor approval to take a make-up exam with Testing Services.
- Making a testing appointment online.
- Communicating the appointment time to the instructor.
Testing Services does not contact instructors to notify them of testing appointments. In order for instructors to send the testing material, students must make them aware of the date and time of the testing appointment.
Appointments are required and available as space permits. You must schedule a PSU Make-up exam at least 24 hours prior to your intended appointment time. Same day appointments cannot be made online.
A $12 proctoring fee will be billed to the student's PSU account for each exam taken with Testing Services. If unable to make the scheduled appointment time the student must contact our office prior to their testing appointment in order to cancel and not be billed. Simply not showing up to an appointment will result in the student's account being billed.
Be prepared on your test day with:
- A current photo ID.
- Permitted testing materials.
Testing Services provides pencils, scratch paper (if allowed), and noise reduction devices. Students are responsible for bringing any other testing materials that may be permitted.
Testing Services has free, secure lockers to store all personal items not allowed into the testing room.
Students must abide by Portland State University's Code of Conduct and Testing Services guidelines. Violations will be reported to the University Conduct and Community Standards office, and the instructor.
PSU Instructor Responsibilities
Instructors should send the following to Testing Services:
- The Exam
- Our preferred method to receive exams is via email
- If at all possible, we ask that you get the makeup exams to our office at least one business day ahead of the student's appointment time.
- The Proctoring Form
- Please fill out the proctoring form completely. We strictly adhere to the information provided by instructors on the proctoring form.
- We will not test students past the deadline set on the form or allow the use of additional exam materials without direct approval from the instructor.
More information for faculty about having students test with us is available on our Faculty Information Page.