GRE Subject Tests
Testing Services administers the GRE Subject Tests ONLY and does NOT administer the GRE General Test. Click here for more details on the General GRE. GRE Subject Tests allow students to show graduate schools their knowledge in a specific area and can help them stand out from other applicants by emphasizing their knowledge and skill in that specific area. Testing Services offers GRE Subject Tests in the following 8 areas:
There are two ways to register for the Subject GRE Tests:
- Online: Go to the ETS website.
- Via postal mail: The registration forms are inside GRE Subject Test bulletins, on the GRE Subject Test website, or at Testing Services.
The standard test administion fee is $150, which is paid when you register (see above). Special handling request fees vary. Go here for more information.
Information for General GRE Test
In Portland, the General GRE Test is only offered through Sylvan Learning Thompson Prometric Testing Centers. The two Portland area locations are:
- 1122 NE 122nd Ave (NE Portland): 503.254.4159
- 14623 SE McLoughlin Blvd (Milwaukie): 888.338.2283
Most questions about the GRE General Test should be directed to the Educational Testing Service at 800.257.5123 or 609.771.7670 (EST), at the official GRE General Test website, or on the frequently asked questions page.
If you miss the registration deadline, you may still report to the testing location on the test date and try to get a seat as a "stand-by." There is an additional $50 fee, and admission to the test is not guaranteed. If you choose to test as a stand-by you must:
- Report to the test location at least a half hour early. Call ETS at 800.257.5123 for the official reporting time and test location.
- Have the registration form filled out and your fees ready ($200 total). Registration forms are inside GRE Subject Test bulletins, on the GRE Subject Test website, or at Testing Services.
- Sign in on the official "Stand-by Sign-in Sheet" that the Testing staff posts.
- Wait for Testing staff to determine whether they have test materials and an extra seat for you.
- If you are admitted, the Testing staff will collect your registration form and fees ($200 total). Testing staff cannot answer specific registration questions or verify the amount paid. You must deal directly with ETS regarding registration, scoring, and score reporting.