College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) provides the opportunity to receive college credit for knowledge in a specific area. Testing Services offers proctoring for all CLEP exams. With more than 2,900 colleges that grant credit and/or advanced standing to those who pass CLEP exams, taking a CLEP can save time and money. For exam descriptions and more information about taking a CLEP exam, visit the College Board Website directly.
Before registering for a CLEP exam, check with an advisor at your school/institution to determine whether CLEP credits will satisfy your personal degree requirements.
Testing Services charges a $35 proctoring fee, paid at the time of registration, in addition to the $80 fee paid to College Board.
Before making an appointment to take a CLEP exam with our office, the following steps must be completed:
1. Create an account on the College Board website
2. Select and register for the CLEP exam you want to take
3. Pay the $80 CLEP fee to College Board
After registering for the CLEP exam you will receive a printable Ticket ID which includes a ticket ID number. You will need the ticket ID number to make your testing appointment with our office. You will also need to bring a copy of your Ticket ID on your test day. Please note that the ticket ID number expires after 6 months, and CLEP does not issue refunds for registrations.
After receiving your Ticket ID, make a testing appointment with our office. Appointments are required and available as space permits. You must schedule through our online scheduling system at least two days prior to your intended testing date.
There are two fees, paid separately:
1. CLEP charges $80 to take the exam, which can be paid by credit/debit card to College Board when registering for the CLEP exam you want to take.
2. Testing Services charges a $35 proctoring fee paid by debit/credit card only, required at the time of registration. The $35 fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. If you need to test on a day other than your originally scheduled test date you will need to make a new appointment and re-pay the $35 proctoring fee.
Be prepared on your test day with:
1. A printed copy of the Ticket ID issued by College Board for your CLEP exam.
2. A current government-issued photo ID with a signature. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Valid driver's license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- Tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certification of citizenship
- A Permanent Resident Card with name, photograph, and signature
If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID please contact CLEP Services by calling 800-257-9558, or 609-771-7865, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Testing Services has free, secure lockers to store all personal items that are not allowed into the testing room.
You will receive an unofficial score report immediately after the exam. The institution that you designate will receive the official score report in approximately 10-15 business days after your test date. You can find out what your score means at the College Board website.
Not all CLEP exams are accepted at PSU; check the PSU CLEP Table for exams approved for PSU students. To find out whether CLEP credits will satisfy your personal degree requirements at PSU, ask an academic advisor or inquire at the PSU Degree Requirements Department in the Neuberger Hall Lobby.
If you did not indicate a score recipient institution at the time of your exam and you want to request your CLEP scores, you can do so by ordering a CLEP transcript through the College Board website.