College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP)
The College-Level Examination Program® (CLEP) provides the opportunity to receive college credit for knowledge in a specific area. Testing Services offers all CLEP exams. With more than 2,900 colleges that grant credit and/or advanced standing to those who pass CLEP exams, taking a CLEP can save time and money. Go to the College Board website for more information about CLEP and how to prepare for your exam. Review CLEP exam descriptions for review here.
- Go to the College Board website to create an account. You will then select and register for the CLEP exam you want to take, and pay the $80 CLEP fee. Visit the College Board website to complete these steps prior to scheduling your testing appointment. After registering for the CLEP exam you will receive a ticket ID number, which you need to make your testing appointment with our office. Please note that the ticket ID number expires after 6 months, and CLEP does not issue refunds.
- Make a testing appointment with our office. Appointments are required and available as space permits. The deadline to schedule is two days prior to the day of the test. Register online here for your testing appointment and be sure to have your ticket ID number.
There are two fees, paid separately:
- Testing Services charges a non-refundable $35 registration fee. If you reschedule, you must repay the registration fee.
- CLEP charges an $80 fee to take the exam, which can be paid by credit/debit card to College Board upon creating and registering for the CLEP exam you want to take.
You will receive an unofficial score report immediately after the exam. The institution that you designate will receive the official score report in approximately 10-15 business days after your test date. You can find out what your score means at the College Board website.
Not all CLEP exams are accepted at PSU; check the PSU CLEP Table for exams approved for PSU students. To find out whether CLEP credits will satisfy your personal degree requirements at PSU, ask an academic adviser or inquire at the PSU Degree Requirements Department in the Neuberger Hall Lobby.
If you did not indicate a score recipient institution at the time of your exam and you want to request your CLEP scores, you can do so by ordering a CLEP transcript. The transcript is a cumulative score report of all the CLEP exams you have taken and the scores you earned in the last 20 years. If you are paying with credit/debit card, fax the form to (610) 628-3726. If you are paying by check or money order, mail it to:
CLEP Transcript Services
P.O. Box 6600
Princeton, NY 08541-6600
On the day of the test bring:
- The Ticket ID that you received after registering for your CLEP exam through the College Board website.
- A current government-issued photo ID with a signature. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Valid driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- Tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certification of citizenship
- A Permanent Resident Card with name, photograph, and signature
- If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID please contact CLEP Services at 800.257.9558, 609.771.7865, or by email at email@example.com.
If you have questions about the content of the exam, go to the official CLEP website. Direct questions about test registration and administration to Testing Services at 503-725-5301.