Search Google Appliance


SHAC offers nutrition counseling for students who would like to work on their eating and relationship with food. We offer Individual Nutrition Counseling and Intuitive Eating Groups. We also have a resource page available for more information.

Who is a Registered Dietitian?

A Registered Dietitian is an expert in food and nutrition who has:

  • Completed a Bachelor’s degree at a US regionally accredited university or college.
  • Completed an accredited supervised practice program.
  • Passed a national examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
  • Completed continuing professional education requirements to maintain registration.

SHAC Dietitians are equipped to work with students in assessing nutrition status and if necessary, help find strategies for modifying eating habits. The dietitian will not act as the food police, weight loss coach, or give a standard meal plan. Rather, the goal is to collaborate with the student in optimizing their health through nutrition and their relationship with food. 

Nutrition Counseling

Nutrition appointments are typically 50 minutes and are designed to engage the student in a collaborative process to address their individual needs. During the appointment, a Registered Dietitian will meet with the student to discuss some background information and the nature of the student's concerns. Depending on the situation, this may take place in one or two sessions, or result in scheduling future appointments.

If it is determined that the student's needs are outside the scope of the care provided in Nutrition Services, the student will be referred to a provider that is more suited to their needs, either at SHAC or in the community.

To make an appointment, please call the SHAC front desk at 503.725.2800. Prior to the meeting, please complete the necessary paperwork that is available online or at the SHAC front desk. The paperwork includes a Nutrition Counseling Intake Form and a 3-day Food Record.

Intuitive Eating Groups

What would happen if you had the tools to trust your decisions with food and body? The Intuitive Eating groups at SHAC meet once a week for nine weeks beginning at the start of every term (with the exception of Summer term). The curriculum is loosely based on the book "Intuitive Eating," by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch. Participants are given reading assignment each week and discussions are facilitated by two group leaders. Please visit the PSU Intuitive Eating Group for more information.