You may use any hospital you wish, however, it is often less expensive to use a hospital in the Aetna Preferred Provider Network. See below for a list of local area hospitals in the Aetna Network. Be sure to take your Medical ID Card with you for billing purposes.
If you have not received your permanent Medical ID Card, you may click here for the link to print a temporary ID card. When you get to the page, click "claim instructions and forms" to print the card.
NOTE: Permanent ID cards are sent to all students taking 5 or more credits by approximately the 6th week of Fall term and you will only be given one per school year. If you are taking 5 or more credits for the first time in Winter, Spring, or Summer you will be sent a card after the roster is sent from PSU.
- Assignment of a Doctor does not guarantee eligibility or right to Student Health Insurance benefits.
- Providers may be periodically added or deleted as participants in the Aetna Preferred ProviderNetwork.
- Not all Doctors participating at a Hospital elect to participate in the Aetna Preferred Provider Network.
- Insured persons are responsible to verify that a provider is a Aetna Preferred Network participant prior to receiving services. You can visit the Aetna Preferred Provider Network website for help in identifying if a provider is in the network.
You should only go to the Emergency Room if a true emergency. The definition of Emergency Medical Condition is a recent and severe medical condition, including, but not limited to, severe pain, which would lead a prudent layperson; possessing an average knowledge of medicine and health, to believe that his or her condition, Sickness, or Injury, is of such a nature that failure to get immediate medical care should result in:
- Placing the person's health in serious jeopardy; or
- Serious impairment to bodily function; or
- Serious dysfunction of a body part or organ; or
- In the case of a pregnant woman, serious jeopardy to the health of the fetus.
It does include an accident or serious illness such as a heart attack, stroke, poisoning, loss of consciousness or respiration; and convulsions. It does not include elective care, routine care, care for non-emergency illness, or care required as a result of circumstances which would have been foreseen prior to the Covered Person's departure from the University/College area.
The Closest Hospitals in the Aetna Preferred Provider Network* are:
Legacy Good Samaritan
1015 NW 22nd Ave. Portland, OR 97210
You can take Bus #17 or the Streetcar.
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd Portland, OR 97239
OHSU/PSU Shuttle Bus Info
For info. on schedule call 503-494-8019 (Delivery Services)
Operates from PSU to OHSU outpatient clinic, leaves PSU every 35 minutes after the hour from corner of Harrison and Broadway. RUNS: 7:35 a.m. to 5:35 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Leaves OSHU East Entrance to outpatient Clinic, RUNS: 7:45 a.m. to 8:45 p.m.
You can also take Bus #8.
Providence Portland Medical Center
4805 NE Glisan St, Portland, OR 97213
You can also take Bus #19.
Providence St. Vincent Hospital
9205 SW Barnes Road, Portland, OR 97225
You can also take Bus #20.
*To verify participation of these providers in the Aetna network, you can go to the Aetna Preferred Provider website.