Group counseling is an especially useful approach for addressing many issues commonly experienced by college students. It is often the treatment of choice for people who identify difficulties in interpersonal relationships, social anxiety, stress, and low self esteem.
If you would like more information about joining a Counseling Service's group, please come to Walk-in Hours to speak with a counselor. If you already have a SHAC counselor, please speak with your current counselor about your options for group. A pregroup interview with group leaders is required for all groups.
Spring Groups 2015
Interpersonal Process Groups
- Monday, 4:00 - 5:30 PM -- Tim & Carla
- Wednesday, 4:00 - 5:30 PM -- Karen S.
- Friday, 10:00 - 11:30 AM -- Noelle & Janice
- Friday, 1:00 - 2:30 PM -- Lisa & Josh
- Adverse Childhood Experience Recovery Group: Tuesday, 3:30-5 PM -- Dawn & Jen
- Managing Stress, Emotions, and Relationships: Thursday, 4-5:30 PM -- Karen & Heather
- Grief Recovery Group: Thursday, 3-4:30 PM -- Dawn
- Reducing Social Anxiety: Friday, 1-2:30 PM -- Karen & Chennettee
- Monday, 12:30 PM; & Thursday, 2:30 PM
Growing up in a household where you experience Adverse Childhood Experiences such as abuse, neglect or other serious problems leads to normal, predictable responses to the abnormal experience. In this group you will have a safe space where you can learn about and better understand how your experience has impacted you...and you will get support to begin making changes that will lead to improved relationships, emotional health and physical well-being.
Grief is something we will all experience, whether from a death, end of a significant relationship or any number of other losses. In this session you will receive information on what to expect as you grieve and learn about healthy ways to cope.
You are not alone. This group offers an opportunity to increase your comfort and skill in connecting with others through both knowledge and practice. There is an emphasis on mindfulness, reducing anxiety and shame, and participating at your own pace.