Undergraduate Major: Finance
The finance area at Portland State University is deeply connected with the business community in Oregon’s economic center. We strive to provide our students with the education to succeed in a variety of finance careers such as corporate finance, investment banking, commercial real estate finance and investment, asset valuation, portfolio management and entrepreneurial finance. Our finance faculty is committed to student success, high-quality research and teaching excellence.
Most of our finance students graduate to work in one of three broad areas: corporate finance, banking, or investment-related fields.
[2011-12 bulletin year*]
A minimum of 28 business credits as follows:
- ACTG 381 - Financial Accounting and Reporting I (4)
- FIN 319 - Intermediate Financial Management (4)
- FIN 352 - Investments (4) - Formerly FIN 452
- FIN 441 - Fundamentals of Derivative Securities (4)
- FIN 449 - Valuation (4)
- FIN 456 - International Financial Management (4)
- FIN 465 - Finance Topics and Cases (4)
*Links to requirements for other bulletin years are found on the Course Information page.
Course Sequence: the (PDF) version of this information includes prerequisites, a suggested sequence, and identifies the terms these courses are usually offered.
- Real Estate Development Minor
- Students in the program will develop skills to evaluate real estate development proposals and understand how real estate development fits into regional planning and economic processes.
- CFA Recognized Master of Science in Financial Analysis (MSFA)
- The MSFA degree is an accelerated graduate business program that integrates coursework in finance and accounting. This unique dual-focused program quickly prepares students to pursue management-track careers in finance and accounting, with many graduates ultimately seeking CFO and partnership positions in their organizations.
- Master of Science in Real Estate Development (MRED)
- The program offers students a multidisciplinary approach to studying real estate, sustainable urban development, real estate finance and project development.
Faculty & Research
Visit the Finance Research webpage to learn more.
Through professional speakers, company tours, internships and scholarships, FMA students are provided with opportunities to develop leadership, gain professional training and make employment contacts.
Careers & Internships
- Visit the PSU Careers website and sign up for Career Connect to learn about internship and career opportunities by area
- Stop by for Career and Internship Express Advising.
- Visit the PSU Advising and Career Services website for information about interview & resume workshops and career fairs.
- Check out more career resource at Finance Career Page.
Connect with us to learn about industry updates and job & internship opportunities!
- FMA: Facebook Page