Research - Tom Gillpatrick
Journal of Food Products Marketing
- Food & CPG Product Marketing and Distribution
- New Product Development Processes & Research
- Retailing, Strategy and Trends
- International Marketing
Honors, Awards, Grants
- Member of advisory board for the Promotion Optimization Institute, 2012-14.
- OUS faculty Scholarship for OUS Sustainable Food Systems Program, summer 2010.
- Member of Editorial Board for Journal of Global Business Management, 2009 to 2012.
- 2008-“Developing Values-Based Distribution Networks to Enhance the Prosperity of Small- and Medium-Sized Producers,” funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, lead grant institution UC Davis, $500k.
- 2008- Pear Bureau NW, co- research with Marv Goldberg, Penn State and Herb Sorensen. Support for study on in-store video promotion on produce sales, $5k.
- July 2007, Matching Fund Support for “Pathways” from Costco, $50k
- 2007, Matching Fund Support for “Pathways” from WAFC, $50k.
- 2006, “Project Pipeline,” Support from U.S. Department of Agriculture for scholarships for ethnically diverse students in FILC food program, $168k.
- 2006-2008 Food Systems Leadership Institute Fellowship- Kellogg Foundation
- 2006, Matching Fund Support for “Pathways” from Fred Meyer, $50k
- 2005 OLCC Grant studying impact of store within a store concept-$37k
- 2005 PepsiCo Foundation, Award FILC “Pathways” Diversity Program-$500k
- 2003 Faculty Fellow, Wal-Mart Corporate Diversity Program, Shareholders Meeting.
- 2002 Product Development & Management Association- Board Leadership Award
- 2001 Certified by the PDMA as a New Product Development Professional
- 1999-2002 Department of Education FIPSE Grant U.S./E.U. Technology- $300k
- 1997 School of Business Award for Teaching Excellence, Portland State University.
- 1996 Juan Young Sponsored Professor of Food Marketing, PSU.
- 1995 IIBS Faculty Fellow Award for Teaching, Pordenone, Italy.
- 1994 Faculty Fellow Product Development & Mgt. Association- at Wake Forrest.
- 1993 IIBS Faculty Fellow Award for Teaching, Pordenone, Italy.
Selected Publications (Last 10 years)
Blunck, Erskin; Tom Gillpatrick, Sara Ashori and Darko Pantelic (2016) “Sustainable Marketing a Cross Cultural Comparison Between Future German and American Decision-Makers and Their Attitudes Toward Sustainability Issues.” International Economy and Business Conference (IBEC) Nurtingen, Germany (January).
Wood, Van R. and Tom Gillpatrick (2015) “University Partnerships with Big Emerging Markets: Creating Student Opportunities in the Era of Globalization 2.0” Global Business & International Management, Vol 8, Number 2.
Blunck, Erskin; Tom Gillpatrick, Sara Ashori and Darko Pantelic (2015) “Sustainable Marketing Attitudes of Future Decision Makers toward Sustainability” International Economy and Business Conference (IBEC) Bangkok, Thailand (January).
Hardesty, Shermain, Gail Feenstra, David Visher, Tracy Lerman, Dawn Thilmany-McFadden, Allison Gunter, Tom Gillpatrick, Gretchen Nurse Rainbolt (2014) “Values-based Supply Chains: Supporting Regional Food and Farms,” Economic Development Quarterly (February).
Gui, Hairong Karen, Tom Gillpatrick (2013) “Driving and Creating Brand Value Through Brand Equity,” PICMET (July) San Jose.
Pantelic, Darko, Tom Gillpatrick, Andreas Zehetner & Nebojsa Davcik (2013) “Sustainability as a Marketing Doctrine,” Presented at Austrian Marketing Conference (April).
Deli-Gray Z., Gillpatrick T., Marusic M., Pantelic D. and Kuruvilla S.J. (2011) Hedonic and functional shopping values and everyday product purchases: findings from the Indian study, International Journal of Business Insights and Transformation, Vol. 4, N°1, pp. 65-70
Wood, Van R., Dennis Pitta, Frank Franzak and Tom Gillpatrick (2011) “Integrating Creative People, Creative Communities and Macro-Environmental Characteristics into the Marketing Organization,” Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, (Spring), volume 5(3).
Feenstra, Gail, Shermain Hardesty, David Visher, Dawn Thilmany McFadden, Tom Gillpatrick, Jim Dyer, Bob Corshen, and Josh Edge. (2010). “Developing values-based distribution networks to enhance the prosperity of small- and medium-sized producers.” Journal of Food Distribution Research Volume XLI (1): 121. [Abstract]
Wood, Van R., Dennis Pitta, Frank Franzak and Tom Gillpatrick (2010) “Developing, Harnessing and Managing “Creative” Marketing Organizations: The Role of Creative People, Creative Communities and Macro-Environmental Characteristics.” Academy of Marketing Science Conference, Portland, Oregon, May 2010. [Abstract]
Gillpatrick, Tom, Van Wood, Zsuzsa Deli-Gray, Darko Pantelic and Maja Martinović (2009) “An Exploratory Examination of Shopper Functional & Hedonic Value for Selected CPG Products & Retail Formats Across Four Countries,” 14th Cross Cultural Research Conference, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, December 13-16.
Wood, Van R., Dennis Pitta, Frank Franzak and Tom Gillpatrick (2009) “Extending the Brand Concept: From Products to Value Chains and Global Competitive Systems,” Global Business & International Management Conference in Seattle, WA. July 17-19.
Gillpatrick, Tom, Zsuzsa Deli-Gray, Darko Pantelic and Maja Martinović (2008) “A Cross National Examination of the Impact of Social Reference Groups on Perception of Hedonic Value in Shopping Behavior,” 15th Annual International Conference on Retailing and Service Science (EIRASS), Zagreb, Croatia, July 12-15 th . [Abstract]
Deli-gray, Zsuzsa, Tom Gillpatrick, Darko Pantelic and Maja Martinović (2008) “The consumer of the 21 st century: incorporating hedonic feelings into the purchase decision – the results of a cross cultural empirical research,” Korean Academy of Marketing Science Conference, Shanghai, China, March 20-23.
Deli-Gray, Zsuzsa, Tom Gillpatrick, Darko Pantelic and Mira Marusic (2007) “Hedonic Shopping: Cross Cultural Comparison,” Conference of the Academy of Marketing 2007” organized at the Kingston Business School at Royal Holloway Conference Centre, Egham, Surrey, UK (3 -6 July).
Raymond Marquardt and Tom Gillpatrick (2006) “From Pitchfork to Table Fork: A Look at How Food Marketing Channels are Changing,” Macro-marketing Conference, New Zealand (June).
Selected Conference Presentations
“A Comparison of German and American Attitudes about Sustainability,” 16th Cross Cultural Research Conference, Playa del Carmen, Mexico, December, 2015.
Panel Presentation, “Equipping Next Generation Business Leaders,” Farm to Label Summit, May 28 th , 2015 Portland, Oregon.
Presentation, “Bite into Portland’s Food & Beverage Industry,” Portland Advertising Federation, April 29 th , 2015, Portland.
“Recruiting Tomorrow’s Leaders – Best Practices,” Moderated session at National Grocers Association meeting, Las Vegas (2/11/2015).
“Evolution of Food Retailing in the U.S”, Industry Studies Association, Portland May 2014.
“Evolution of US Food Retailing and Implications for Dairy”, Oregon Dairy Association Annual Meetings, Salem, 2014.
Moderated Panel at National Grocers Association meeting in Las Vegas, February, 2013 on Retail/Vendor Partnerships.
“Values-based Distribution: Opportunities to Connect with Customers and Community,” panelist in workshop for the National Grocers Association meeting, Las Vegas February, 2011.
“Developing Values-Based Distribution Networks to Enhance the Prosperity of Small- and Medium-Sized Producers,” Food Distribution Research Society meeting, with Shermain Hardesty & Dawn Thilmany, Denver Colorado, November, 2009.
“US Food Distribution System,” Eco-Trust, Food Industry Distribution, Project Vivid Picture, 6 January, 2005.