Four Portland State University students and a high school senior entering PSU this fall were honored with scholarships this week by the Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber and local businesses.
The Hispanic Chamber, which represents the Latino business community in Oregon and Southwest Oregon, awarded more than $109,000 in scholarships to more than 40 students at a luncheon at the Oregon Convention Center. That money is donated by business and civic groups and also being matched by the universities and colleges that the students attend.
The Portland State winners are:
- Natalie Caceres, who received $1,000 each from KUNP-TV Univision and Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Karina Espana, who received $3,500 from Latino Leadership.
- Julieta Georgeades, who received $1,500 from the Hispanic Chamber and $1,000 from Portland Latino Gay Pride.
- Maria Leija Briones, who received $1,000 from Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield, $1,000 from Kranovich & Lucero, $500 from COAT Flagging and $500 from the Hispanic Chamber.
- Eric Isiodoria, a senior at Woodburn High School, received $1,000 from State Farm Insurance and $500 from the Hispanic Chamber.