Tips & FAQs
Tips for Online Final Grading
- Once online grading is open for a term, it is generally available 24 hours a day, with the possible exception of Friday nights when the Banner system may come down for maintenance between 8:00 pm and midnight. The University deadline for submitting grades is 5:00pm on the Tuesday after the end of finals week.
- Keep your Username and Password safe and confidential. Validity and confidentiality of student records depends on it. If you forget your Password contact the OIT HELP Desk at 5-4357.
- You can log in to the PSU Faculty Services from any computer with a current web browser. This means that you can do grading from your home, or anywhere in the world. If you need information or assistance getting connected from off-campus, contact the OIT Help Desk at 503.725.4357, or online at www.pdx.edu/oit/.
- Be sure to save your data entries frequently. If you are interrupted and leave your work session open unattended for more than 30 minutes your session will time out and you will lose any work not saved.
- Grade ‘Rolled’ indicator: After the online grade submission deadline passes at 5:00pm on the Tuesday following finals week, a process is run that ‘rolls’ all submitted grades to the students' academic history. After the grading window closes, grades can no longer be submitted via the Final Grades worksheets. The "rolled" indicator on the web grade sheet will display "Yes" and students can now view their grades online. Any grades which have not been entered will display as "M".
Online grade rosters for fall, winter, and spring terms are available beginning the Monday of the eighth week of the term. Summer term grade rosters are available beginning the first day of each distinct grading period (i.e., 4-week, 8-week, 10-week, 12-week and 13-week).
Fall, winter and spring term grades are due Tuesday at 5 p.m. following finals week. During summer term, final grades are due at 5:00 pm on the Tuesday following the end of the grading period.
Yes. Due to occasional system maintenance and back-ups, online grading may not be available on Friday evenings from 8 p.m. to midnight.
First be sure that you have selected the correct term from the drop down box. Secondly, you need to be listed as the instructor of record for each course you are teaching. Contact your department office if you still can’t see your CRN because you may not be listed as the instructor of record and your departmental staff can help you.
A CRN may not be showing up because the course is not eligible for online grade change for one of the following reasons:
- Grade changes for Thesis 503/603 courses cannot be made online and must be approved by the Office of Graduate Studies on a GO-17 Form (Recommendation for Degree).
- CRNs for a given term will not appear in the Online Grade Change system prior to the final grade processing for that term.
- Regular, non-research/non-project courses do not show up if they are beyond the 5-term limit. Example: CRNs for courses taken prior to winter 2007 will not be available in the system after the end of spring 2008.
- You must be listed as the instructor of record on the CRN in order for it to show up in the system. It is possible that an error was made and your name is not correctly recorded as instructor. Errors of this type are more likely in circumstances involving late added courses.
Students in 501/601/506/606 courses will not show up as eligible for grade change once the student has graduated and the academic record is closed. Registration errors may also result in students not showing up appropriately on your CRNs.
Yes, but ONLY if you remember to click on the "Save Grade Changes" button at the bottom of the page before exiting. When you log on the next time, the grades you previously entered will be displayed (and can be changed further). You may then complete the remaining entries. It is important to save your work frequently in case of a system failure or in case you are away from your computer for more than 30 minutes and your session is timed out.
It is the responsibility of the instructor(s) of record to access the online grade rosters and enter the final grades or make grade changes. Some departments have identified the chair or another staff person to act as an "alternate" grader for the purpose of entering grades for instructors in unusual or emergency situations. No one other than the instructor of record or the departmentally assigned alternate grader should be entering grades. It is not appropriate for you to share your login information with anyone else.
At the end of fall, winter and spring terms, final grades are available online for student viewing beginning at 8 a.m. on the Wednesday after finals week. All grade rosters submitted by faculty up to that point will be loaded to student records and available to students via their Banweb accounts. Summer term grades will be available for students at 8 a.m. on the Wednesday following the end of the grading period.
Grades entered through the Online Grade Change are posted almost instantly to the student’s transcript and thus available to students online.
As long as both faculty members are recorded as instructor of record for the CRN, both will have access to the online grade roster and to the online grade change. The same is true for multiple faculty members teaching one CRN. Faculty members team teaching should coordinate grading to ensure each student receives a grade and that the completed roster is submitted on time.
The Office the Registrar in Neuberger Hall Lobby
Banner SIS Team
Banner Student Information System Help Line