Mon - Thu | 6:00 am - 10:00 am
Friday | 6:00 am - 10:00 am & 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Saturday | 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sunday | 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
Generally any spaces, events or activities that are not listed on this page are not open to youth.
During Youth Hours and if space is available, youth can participate in the following spaces and activities:
|AGES||SWIMMING POOL||CLIMBING CENTER||COURTS||TRACK/
Open Rec Swim:
|Yes: Parent/Guardian must have climbing center wristband||Yes||No||Yes|
Parent/Guardian must remain in the Rec Center
Swim X, Water X, Open Rec Swim, Lap Swim, Swim Lessons & Clinics
|Yes: Youth & Parent/Guardian must have climbing center wristband||Yes||Yes||Yes|
*For infants in strollers/carrying devices, see STROLLER POLICY below.
We offer several annual events that are specifically designed for ASRC Youth Pass Holders:
Spooky Saturday | October 25, 2014
Youth Dive-In Movie | February 28, 2015
Amazing Race for Kids and Families | May 2, 2015
Family Pool Party | August 8, 2015
Other events for some ASRC Youth Pass Holders:
Amazing Race | October 17, 2014 (only 12 - 17 year olds w/ their parent/guardian or adult member)
Bouldering Competition | April 11, 2015 (only 16 & 17 year olds)
We are pleased to offer our members the opportunity to participate with their children during youth hours. Knowing that many of our students and other members have children, we have worked to make accommodations to enable these members to participate while still adhering to standard PSU risk management practices, effectively allocating resources, and following our mission. Our Youth Hours policies are driven by the belief that the Student Rec Center is first and foremost a place for PSU students to exercise and create healthy lifestyles.
If you have questions after reading the information and policies on this page, please contact Jen Armbruster at 503-725-2927 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
YOUTH ELIGIBILITY / PROCEDURES
Youth under 18 years of age are eligible to participate in the Youth Hours.
Youth who are dependents of Rec Center members must register as Youth Pass holders at Member Services prior to participation. To register be prepared to:
- Provide youth’s full name, date of birth, and age
- Provide parental/guardian signature on the liability release
- Have a picture taken of the youth at Member Services
- Pass requires renewal every three months
- Photo renewed as needed
- There is no daily fee for a Youth Pass holder
Youth who are not dependents of Rec Center members may enter the facility as a guest of a Rec Center member during Youth Hours.
- A guest pass for $5 must be purchased for the youth.
- Youth must have a liability release signed by their parent/legal guardian on file at Member Service prior to using the facility.
- Adults bringing youth into the Rec Center must be current paid members of the Student Rec Center. Students are automatically members of the Rec Center and Faculty/Staff/Alumni have the option of paid membership.
- A parent/guardian or adult supervisor must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
- Occasionally, an adult non-member guest such as a grandparent or non-member parent may want to come to the Rec Center with a member and a youth. If the adult non-member wants to participate he or she must bring a government issued photo ID and purchase a guest pass for $5. If the adult non-member wants to watch the youth but does not want to participate on his/her own, he or she can provide a government issued photo ID and receive a visitor pass.
- Youth 15 years and younger must remain under the direct supervision and care of a parent/guardian or adult member at all times when in the Rec Center.
- Youth 16 & 17 years old may participate separately from their parent/guardian or adult custodian. The parent/guardian or adult custodian must remain in the Rec Center at all times the youth is in the building.
- Youth must have a signed liability release on file at Member Service prior to using the facility.
- Youth 5 and under may go into the opposite gender locker room with their parent/guardian. Universal locker rooms, which include showers, lockers and changing tables, are available on the 2nd floor near the pool and 4th floor.
- Rec Center Members may have an infant in a stroller or carrying device (ie bjorn, sling, ergo, etc) in the Rec Center:
- Mon - Fri 6:00 am and 3:00 pm and all day on the weekends.
- Strollers or carrying devices will be allowed in the Rec Center at any time during Break and Summer Hours.
- Strollers and carrying devices with infants are allowed on the 2nd floor (but not the aquatic center) and the 4th floor.
- The stroller may not be left unattended for any length of time (unattended typically is viewed as more than a ‘step and a reach’ length away).
- Strollers or carrying devices are allowed during regular youth hours with a guardian if they are being used simply for convenience for the family (ie you could have a stroller on the pool deck or climbing center if a guardian stays with the stroller).
- Strollers or carrying devices are not allowed in GroupX classes (unless they are part of the Youth program).
- Strollers need to be placed in a safe place and may not impede the ability of other members to access the Student Rec Center (ie a double wide stroller on the track). Campus Rec staff will be allowed to use their discretion about what is impeding access. Campus Rec is not responsible for any strollers left unattended and Campus Rec reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
- Parent/guardian or adult member must complete the climbing center orientation and become a Climbing Center Pass Holder prior to youth of any age using the Climbing Center.
- Children 15 and under may only use the climbing center during youth hours and under the direct supervision of the parent/guardian.
- Youth Pass Holders who are 16 – 17 year old may complete the Climbing Center orientation and become a Climbing Center Pass Holder. They are then permitted to use the climbing center during youth hours without direct parent/guardian supervision.
- Children must be 13 or older to take a belay class or test out in belaying.
- To top rope climb, participants must be able to fit into a harness (minimum height is 37"). Climbing shoes and harnesses are available for check-out.
- Youth under two must wear plastic pants and/or approved swim diapers. No regular diapers are allowed in the pool. Approved swim diapers do not include "Little Swimmers" or similar diapers. Campus Recreation sells approved reusable swim diapers at Member Services for a small fee.
- Members and youth must use the pool space as it is designated on the aquatics schedule.
- Lap Swim requires swimming down and back.
- Open Rec Swim has at least 2 lane lines removed from the pool and allows more recreational play.
- Open Rec Swim times are more suitable for young children wanting to play and enjoy the pool.
- Any youth wanting to swim in the deep end of the pool will be required to successfully complete a 25 yard swim test.
- Youth will swim from the deep end of the pool to the shallow end using a swim stroke (i.e. not doggie paddle) and without touching the bottom of the pool.
- Group youth swim lessons are typically offered fall, winter and spring terms and are purchased at Member Services.
- If courts are available, equipment may be checked out by parent/guardian or adult member at the equipment issue desk. Courts are available on a first come first serve basis and are not reserved specifically for youth and families.
Campus Rec makes every effort to be accessible to all abilities. For accommodations for facilities, activities and programs please contact Jen Armbruster at 503-725-2927 or email@example.com.