Thank you for your interest in the Outdoor Program at Portland State University!
Since 1966, the Outdoor Program (ODP) has been helping PSU students and the surrounding community find ways to access and enjoy the outdoors. The ODP provides a wide variety of services like outdoor trips, operating a busy equipment rental center and managing Campus Rec’s Climbing Center. A highlight of the ODP is definitely the outdoor trips offered each term, such as rafting, kayaking, backpacking, climbing and more. In addition, the Outdoor Program offers technical skill seminars like Wilderness First Responder, Intro to Whitewater Kayaking and Rock Climbing.
The Outdoor Program also provides the opportunity for students to develop their leadership, technical outdoor skills, and teaching potential by being a part of our trip leading staff. The ODP Volunteer Program is designed specifically to train students in outdoor education and programing so that they can move into leadership roles. As a volunteer, you will learn the skills necessary to lead trips, learn about ODP policies and procedures and meet other like-minded outdoor individuals. After successful completion of the Volunteer Orientation trip, you are eligible to be a part of the ODP leadership team as a Volunteer Trip Leader (VTL). As a member of the program you will attend staff trainings & meetings and continue to gain experience within the program. Eventually with appropriate experience and training you can apply to become a paid Assistant Trip Leader or Trip Leader.
If this sounds like something you are interested in, please review the following expectations and application process.
To be considered for the Volunteer Program, candidates must:
- Be a current PSU student with at least three terms remaining.
- Turn in a complete, on-time application and participate in an interview mid-October.
- Attend the Volunteer Orientation trip November 22-24, 2013 and 1-2 pre-trip meetings prior to the trip.
Expectations of ODP staff and volunteers:
- Attend mandatory staff meetings approximately 3 times per term.
- Lead at least 1-2 ODP trips each term.
- Continue technical skill development through ODP staff trainings and personal trips.
- Assist with marketing efforts of the program by tabling and attending special events.
- Maintain current First Aid & CPR (or higher level certification) and be an approved driver for Campus Rec.
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer with the Outdoor Program, please submit the Volunteer Applications by 5:00 pm Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2013. If you have additional questions, please come by the ODP office at 505 SW Harrison St.
Thanks for your interest!