Thank you for your interest in the Outdoor Program at Portland State University!
The Outdoor Program is built on the passion and initiative of students like you who have a love for the outdoors. You do not need to have prior outdoor experience to volunteer with the Outdoor Program, but you must love being outside.
Volunteers are selected through an application process. I know what you're thinking - why apply to be a volunteer? Shouldn't you just show up? There are a few reasons.
- We have a high volume of people who would like to volunteer for the program and only so much capacity to run a volunteer program. Each term we will take around 6-10 people to be volunteers in the program.
- The volunteer program is somewhat of an outdoor apprenticeship program. You will learn the ins and outs of the Outdoor Program, be trained in the office, help with advertising, and develop personal skills. You will also be expected to choose an outdoor themed project to complete during your 25 hour volunteership.
- Our volunteers are working towards becoming Volunteer Trip Leaders and eventually paid Assistant Trip Leaders and Trip Leaders. An application allows us to get to know you and your motivations beyond meeting you briefly at the information session.
Volunteer Information Sessions:
Thursday > March 21st : 5:00 pm- 6:00 pm
Tuesday> April 2nd : 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Thursday > April 4th : 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
ODP Open House: Wednesday April 3rd 3:00pm-4:00pm
How do I apply?
- Fill out the Application found here or drop by the Outdoor Program office to pick one up
- Print it out and sign it
- Drop it off at the Outdoor Program Office by April 8th, 2013 @ NOON
505 SW Harrison Street (Corner of SW 5th and Harrison in ASRC)
Thanks for your interest!