What is top-roping?
Top-roping is a style in climbing which utilizes a harness and a rope, as well as a climbing partner to manage the rope. While on a rope, climbers can reach the very top of our wall.
When can I top-rope?
The Climbing Center is open for bouldering during all building hours. Top rope climbing is open during staffed hours.
How can I learn to top rope?
We have many different classes to suit all skill levels. For a complete list and schedule, click here.
How to belay?
- You may ask a Climbing Instructor to belay you. Check out a harness from the Equipment Checkout Window.
- In order to become belay certified in our gym, you must pass a belay test administered by a Climbing Instructor during staffed hours. We do not accept belay certifications from other climbing gyms. If you do not know how to belay, we offer belay classes once a week for only $5.00.
- After you are belay certified you may belay other climbers during staffed hours. You may check out a belay device from a Climbing Instructor.
- People CAN use their own harness ONLY if said harness is inspected and approved by Climbing Center staff.
- People are NOT allowed to use their own carabiners and/or belay devices.
- People are NOT allowed to do any top-roping during times when there are not Climbing Center staff on duty. This includes people who are belay certified.