General Conduct Guidelines
The University Faculty/Staff/Alumni and Student Conduct Codes are enforced at all times.
We reserve the right to deny facility use to anyone who refuses to comply with the above policies.
Please note that policies are subject to change and to refer to this page for the most current policy information.
- To facilitate Portland State University’s mission of teaching and learning consistent with a state institution of higher education, the Student Rec Center requires its patrons to maintain a safe and appropriate environment. Therefore, the following activities and behaviors are strictly prohibited:
- Committing or attempting to commit any activity that would constitute a violation of any federal, state, or local criminal statute or ordinance.
- Exhibiting disruptive or disorderly conduct or behavior that unreasonably disturbs patrons and staff and interferes with use and enjoyment of the facilities, including but not limited to:
- Smoking or other use of tobacco anywhere inside the Student Rec Center or anywhere on the Urban Plaza
- Fighting or threatening actions
- Posing an unreasonable risk to health or safety, including but not limited to offensive personal hygiene that unduly disturbs others
- Using loud, obscene, or abusive language to patrons or staff
- Displaying overt sexual behavior or engaging in sexual harassment or other types of harassment (e.g., racism, hate speech, threatening speech or behavior, disrespectful behavior)
- Misuse or vandalism of facility property
- Consuming any alcoholic beverage except at approved events. Alcoholic beverages, tobacco products and non-prescription drugs are not allowed in the facility.
- Displaying overt signs of alcohol or substance abuse that are accompanied by disruptive behavior
- Trespassing with entering activity rooms that are not open or entering private office areas without permission
- Bringing into the Student Rec Center any item that creates a hazard to others, or placing personal belongings so as to impede access to services. The following items are not allowed in the Student Rec Center:
- Bicycles, shopping carts
- Skateboards, scooters
- Guns/ammunition or items which can be easily mistaken for weapons, such as black water pistols, plastic nun-chuks, or an empty pepper spray container.
- Bringing pets into the Student Rec Center (Assistance animals are always welcome).
- Facilities and equipment must be used for intended purposes only. A
- A current valid student PSU ID card is required to enter the Student Rec Center. Please see the ID Policy for other requirements. Attempting to enter the facility using false identification or other means will result in card confiscation and/or suspension of facility access privileges.
- Campus Rec staff has authority over facility conduct and use of equipment. Failure to comply with requests of the staff may result in suspension of facility privileges.
- Programs such as scheduled Campus Rec activities will have priority over drop-in and open Rec. If possible, portions of the facility will remain open for drop-in participants.
- Campus Rec is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Personal belongings are not permitted in activity areas and must be kept in a locker or designated areas.
- It is strongly suggested that you consult a physician prior to engaging in physical activity. Campus Rec is not responsible for accidents or injuries that occur to patrons.
- Only beverages in plastic, re-sealable containers are allowed in physical activity areas.
- Glass is not allowed in the Student Rec Center.
- Injuries, accidents, or equipment failures must be immediately reported to Campus Rec staff.
- Use of the center is considered a privilege. Mature and respectful conduct is expected and required at all times. Campus Rec personnel reserve the right to remove any member or guest from the area if he or she exhibits behavior that is believed to be unsafe or inappropriate and may have their privileges revoked.
- Approval to post flyers, signs, or posters on the bulletin boards in the Student Rec Center must be obtained from the Campus Rec staff in the Administrative Office.
- Only Student Rec Center staff members may operate stereo and video equipment. Only personal headsets with personal stereos are allowed. Boom boxes are not permitted anywhere in the facility unless in conjunction with a special event.
- Personal private contract work, i.e., swimming lessons, personal training, and/or fitness workouts of any kind, are not permitted at the Student Rec Center. Anyone interested in receiving private instruction should contact Member Services for proper registration procedures.
- Holiday closings and changes to building operational hours will be posted on the web page and throughout the facility.
- The Student Rec Center will be closed at least two full weeks per calendar year for regularly scheduled and recurring maintenance. These closures will take place usually in late August or early September and around the Winter Holidays.