Our pool now has easier entry with four super wide steps as well as a lift rated to 400 pounds. The Spa has rails and we are working towards a solution to provide easy access for chair users.
In order to support the success of students and members with children, the following change will be implemented to our inclusive policy effective April 1, 2013.
- Rec Center Members will be able to have an infant in a stroller or carrying device (ie bjorn, sling, ergo, etc) in the Rec Center between 6:00am and 3:00pm M-F and all day on the weekends. Strollers or carrying devices will be allowed in the Rec Center at any time during Break and Summer Hours.
- Strollers and carrying devices with infants are allowed on the 2nd floor (but not the aquatic center) and the 4th floor.
- The stroller may not be left unattended for any length of time (unattended typically is viewed as more than a ‘step and a reach’ length away).
- Strollers or carrying devices are allowed during regular youth hours with a guardian if they are being used simply for convenience for the family (ie you could have a stroller on the pool deck or climbing center if a guardian stays with the stroller).
- Strollers or carrying devices are not allowed in GroupX classes (unless they are part of the Youth program).
- Strollers need to be placed in a safe place and may not impede the ability of other members to access the Student Rec Center (ie a double wide stroller on the track). Campus Rec staff will be allowed to use their discretion about what is impeding access. Campus Rec is not responsible for any strollers left unattended and Campus Rec reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
We offer a few different time slots for adaptive court sports. These include but are not limited to wheelchair basketball, goalball, sit – volleyball or soccer. These designated times mean anyone who is wanting to participate in an adaptive court sport has priority on the court for that time. Please look at the schedule for open adaptive rec times or for specific adaptive sports such as goalball, wheelchair basketball or sit – volleyball. Court 3 or the enclosed court has markings for goalball and sit – volleyball.
We are offering an adaptive trip every term. Some of those include alpine skiing, paddling and cycling. We will provide the gear to adapt for a variety of disabilities. Check out the Outdoor Rec programs page for the adaptive trip of the term.
- In addition on the 4th floor we have the elevated mats along with wedges and bolsters to aide in workouts and again make transfers a little easier.
- You can also check out a variety of pieces of adaptive equipment from equipment check out including therabands with velcro straps again if you had a grip strength that would prevent you from using the therabands with handles. We have velcro straps you can check out to secure hands or feet to a variety of our cardio pieces.
- You can also check out goalballs and soccer balls with bells in them to play a variety of sports in the gym.
- We have also added medicine balls with handles and some other gear to our Group-X classes so that instructors can make modifications quickly during their classes.
- We have two Universal changing rooms that include showers and benches for a high level of access. One is in the pool area and one is outside of the pool area.
- Also, each locker room has an accessible area that includes a broader bench, lower lockers, private changing areas, and accessible showers. Lockers can be rented from member services.
- There are restrooms on each floor that also have accessible stalls.
- In addition, we have added dog hook ups in a variety of areas in the campus rec center so that your service animal can be safe and out of the way so that you can enjoy your workout without worrying about the pup accidentally getting hurt. If there are other areas you want to see hook up stations just let us know.
If you would like a tour of the facility and all of the featured areas and equipment please contact Jen Armbruster at 503-725-2927 to set up a time to discuss what the rec center has to offer you.