News & Research in Real Estate
News and Headlines
- Center for Real Estate Student Alexandra Ionescu profiled by the Daily Journal of Commerce.
Read the full article at the DJC website - December 2010
- PSU Real Estate Students Win 2009 NAIOP Competition in Seattle, WA - March 2009
- Gerard Mildner, Ph.D. presented the paper “A Tale of Two Districts: Assessing the Success of Urban Renewal in Portland, Oregon," at the annual conference of the American Real Estate Society (ARES) on April 20, 2012 in St. Pete's Beach, Florida and at a meeting of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP) on April 26, 2012 in Miami Beach, Florida.
- Assistant professor Julia Freybote Ph.D. (with Paul G. Gallimore) presented the paper "The Impact of Transaction Price Feedback on Valuation Judgment in a Depressed Real Estate Market" at the 2012 annual conference of the American Real Estate Society (ARES) from April 17 to 21 in St. Petersburg, FL. She also acted as discussant for two scholarly appraisal papers at the conference.
- Gerard Mildner, Ph.D. presented "Portland Real Estate Trends," at a meeting of the Commercial Real Estate Brokers of Metropolitan Portland on Thursday, April 12, 2012 in Portland, Oregon.
- Gerard Mildner, Ph.D. presented "Demographic Change and Real Estate Demand," at a meeting of National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP) on October 18, 2011 in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Adjunct professor Robert Greene Ph.D., MAI, SRA, published the article "Market Conditions Adjustments for Residential Development Land in a Declining Market" in the Winter issue of the Appraisal Journal (pg. 54-60).
- In December 2011, assistant professor Julia Freybote Ph.D. (with Karen M. Gibler) published the paper " Trust in Corporate Real Estate Outsourcing Relationships" in the Journal of Property Research (Vol. 28, Issue 4, pg. 341-360).
Downtown Schools and Real Estate Development Symposium - April 13, 2010
On April 13, 2010, the Center for Real Estate held a Symposium to present preliminary research exploring three questions: How should schools in urban or downtown settings be developed? What is the best way to redevelop existing urban schools to promote greater residential and employment density? What role do schools play in affecting the willingness of families to live in urban settings? The presentation was followed by a panel of faculty, school officials and real estate industry professionals.
The Center would like to thank the Counselors of Real Estate and the James E. Gibbons Educational Development Trust Fund for sponsoring the research through a $20,000 grant. The final research will be completed and posted in May, 2010.
"Downtown Schools and Real Estate Development" (PowerPoint file) - Presentation by Dr. Gerard Mildner, Director, Center for Real Estate
PSU's Center for Real Estate produces a Quarterly Real Estate Report, highlighting the current trends in real estate as well as an economic forecast of the real estate market. This report is made possible thanks to a donation by OAR (Oregon Association of Realtors). PSU's Center for Real Estate thanks the following organization for their generous participation in this report: Oregon Association of Realtors, Oregon RMLS, Norris Beggs & Simpson, Johnson Gardner, L.LC., Cushman & Wakefield, Wells Fargo, and Willamette Valley Multiple Listing Service.
Real Estate Development Dissertation Topics
An Impact Evaluation of Home Improvement Loans on Neighborhood Decline: The Case of Portland, Oregon. Geraldine Larkin,1979/80.
Housing the Low-Income, Urban Elderly: A Role for the Single Room Occupancy Hotel. Mary A. Burki, 1981/82.
Impacts of Environmental Design on Residential Crowding. Tieh-Yeu Huang, 1981/82.
Development of an Operational System for Monitoring Changes in Subarea Residential Housing Status. Harold C. Mba, 1981/82.
Fringe Area Growth in Metropolitan Portland: An Analysis of Space-Time Variations in Residential Housing and Land Conversion, 1970-1980. Sheku Gibril Kamara, 1983/84.
Economic Determinants of Residential Mortgage Choice. Marvin J. Horowitz, 1984/85.
Residential Mobility and Revitalization in Portland Between 1970 and 1980: A Study of the Urban Structural Impacts on Neighborhood Revitalization. Sheka G. Kamara, 1991-92.
Analyzing the Effect of Urban Growth Boundaries on Housing Prices. Abdullah Alkadi, 1995-96.
New Urbanism and the Elderly in Urban and Suburban Neighborhoods. Patricia Patterson, 1996-97.
Cohousing: A Qualitative Study of Practices in the Pacific Northwest. Nader Azab, 1997-98.
Movers and Stayers in Portland, Oregon's Central Eastside Industrial District. Peter Fry, 1998-99.
Re-Presenting the Post-Industrial Neighborhood: Planning and Redevelopment in Portland's Pearl District. Robert Jones, 1998-99.
Evaluating Urban Containment Programs. Arthur C. Nelson, 1983/84.
Spatial Clustering of Sector Linked Industry in an Urban Economy. Colleen Greer Acres, 1984/85.
The Transformation of Urban Form: A Study of the Interaction Between Policy, Urban Form, and Change in a Small City. Elton H. Schatz, 1990-91.
Determining the Property Value Impact of Landfill. Okwuchukwu G. Uba, 1993-94.
Spatial Patterns of Urban Service Activities: An Empirical Study. Wonseon Kyung, 1994-95.
Determining the Effects of Environmental Disclosures Within Commercial Property Transactions. Gregory Madson, 1997-98.
Evolution of State Sponsored Land Use Planning. Jerry Weitz, 1998-99.
A Tale of Two Cities: Public Housing and Municipal Revenue Policy Making in San Jose, Costa Rica and San Salvador, El salvador. Barrett MacDougall, 1978/79.
Urban Housing Policy Evaluation in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Tarek A. Fadaak, 1983/84.
The Spacial Distribution of Peri-Urban Agriculture in Developed Countries with Special Emphasis on United States SMSAs. Ibrahim Amin Asad Abdel-Karim, 1987/88.
Explorations into the Characteristics, the Determinants of Production, and the Impact of Land Policies on the Informal Housing Sector in Alexandria, Egypt. Mostafa M. El Araby, 1992-93.
Performance of the Housing Market in Abudhabi City and the Government Housing Policies. Nasser Almansoori, 1995-96.