There has been a recent change that affects those of you who have not yet taken or passed statistics 243 with a C- or better. In order to register for statistics 243 starting winter 2012 or after, students must meet one of the following requirements.
- Successful completion of Math 095 with a C- or better, or a P grade within the last year.
- Placement at the necessary level on the ALEKS Mathematics and Statistics Placement Test within the last year.
If you took the placement test and did not place into your preferred course, do not be discouraged. It just means that you may need a bit more refreshing in order to be successful in that course. Here are some options:
- Use the free Learning Module in ALEKS to refres on the topics you struggled with. ALEKS will list these topics in a customized pie chart that is specific to your placement results called MyPie. You can begin accessing the Learning Module right away and up to six months after completing the test. Once you begin the Learning Module, you will have access for six weeks. Click here to see which topics you should cover.
- For additional help, there's tutoring available throught the Learning Center in:
- There is a refresher course offered in the summer:
- STAT 199: Statistics Head Start to help prepare for STAT 243: Introduction to Probablility and Statistics I.
- If the topics in the Learning Module are new material, or you need more than just a refresher, you should enroll in preparatory courses such as Math 070 or Math 095 based on your result from the placement test. After successfully completing (with a C- or above) that course, you can automatically enroll in the subsequent course without taking the placement test again.
Once you have refreshed on the necessary topics in the learning Module you can try the placement test again. It can be retaken up to three times in one year after your initial attempt.
Portland State University has instituted this policy to increase your likelihood of long-term success in mathematics and statistics. Please visit this link to learn more about this policy and the ALEKS placement system. If you have questions, check out the FAQ page. Also feel free to contact an adviser in the Psychology Department if you have any questions that were not answered on the website. You can connect with Psychology Advisers by visiting Cramer Hall 360 Monday through Friday 9:00 to 5:00 (except on Tuesdays when our hours are 10:00 to 5:00). You may also email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.