Application to a Graduate Program
**IF you applied to a program in the Psychology Department between 10/1 and 10/20/2015, and you have concerns about the status of your application, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: The graduate program in Psychology at Portland State University admits new graduate students to our program once a year in the Fall.
We will begin accepting applications to the Ph.D. in Applied Psychology graduate program for admission Fall 2016 on October 1, 2015.
We will not be accepting applications for the terminal M.A. or M.S. degree programs for the 2016-2017 academic year. Admitted students entering the Ph.D. program will earn a Master's degree en route to the Ph.D. unless they waive the requirement based on a previously conducted empirical Master's thesis.
During the admissions process you may receive correspondence from both the Office of Admissions and the Psychology Department. Please respond directly to the source of the correspondence when necessary or if you have questions, as these are two separate admissions processes.
Please note that the graduate program in Psychology at Portland State University does not provide training, prepare for licensure in, nor offer degrees in Clinical or Counseling Psychology.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE DOCTORAL
(Ph.D. in Applied Psychology)
GRADUATE PROGRAM AT PORTLAND STATE UNIVERSITY
Admission to graduate study is granted on the basis of evidence of preparedness to undertake advanced work and the probability of successful completion of the degree. All applicants must hold a B.A. or B.S. degree from a regionally accredited institution (the degree may be in progress at the time of application but must be completed before admission can be finalized).
In general, admitted applicants have:
- Preparation in research methods, statistics and experimental psychology or equivalent.
- At least a 3.25 undergraduate GPA, with a mean of approximately 3.80.
- Scored in the 70-80th percentile (or above) in Verbal, 60-70th percentile (or above) in Quantitative and 4.5 or above on the Analytical Writing sections of the GRE.
Funding and Graduate Assistantships:
Although the Psychology Department attempts to provide tuition remissions and stipends for graduate students, a number of our graduate students have received support in the past from sources such as the ones listed at the following link:
This link will take you to a list that contains links to general graduate student funding and support as well to more specific listings of funding sources, including funding for minority graduate student scholars, and funding for dissertation projects.
Application Process & Deadlines:
The deadline for all applications is midnight December 15th
There is no flexibility on this deadline.
Applications must be submitted and include all supplemental application materials by the deadline. However, do not delay submitting your application until all your recommendations have been received as this may cause you to miss the deadline.
Failure to supply complete and accurate information will delay the admission process and subject applicants to the University’s policies governing academic dishonesty.
With your application you must submit a non‐refundable $65 application fee and you will be required to pay via Visa or MasterCard. You will also need to send an official transcript from each post‐secondary institution you have attended. Send your official transcripts for your University application to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
Portland State University
P.O. Box 751 (OGS)
Portland, OR 97207‐0751
Portland State University is now using a single on-line application system. To apply to the Department of Psychology, create an account through CollegeNET ApplyWeb. This allows for the electronic submission of all components of our application including personal statement, copies of transcripts, and letters of recommendation. You will be able to save your application until you are ready to submit and check the status of your application through this account.
The link to the online application is at the end of this section.
You will first need to create a username and password by selecting the link titled “Create Your Account”. You can either complete the application and submit it in one sitting, or save your work and continue it at a later time. When filling out your application:
- To save what you have done so far without exiting, click the Save and Continue button.
- To save and exit, click the Save & Exit button.
- To access an application in progress and continue your work on it, go to your Activity Log and select the application.
Data Validation: This error indicates that you have either skipped a necessary field on the application or have not correctly entered the required information. Please look over the application for any fields that are set aside in a box with an error message immediately above them, such as "This is a required field." You should be able to proceed with your application when you make the necessary correction or, for the purpose of navigating through the application you may select the button “Postpone Data Validation”
Important, please note: You cannot make a correction to a submitted application. Once your application has been submitted, the only information you can edit, up to the application deadline of December 15th, is the contact information for your letters of recommendation.
Required Supplemental Materials:
The application will require you to provide materials meeting specific criteria as outlined below.
- Name, contact information, and some personal details.
- Choice of program. Under "Program Selection", choose the "College of Liberal Arts and Sciences" and then your intended field of study.
- Degree information and transcripts from all post-secondary institutions at which you have studied. You will be asked to upload a scan (an unofficial copy) of transcripts from each institution you have attended. NOTE: a printout of your grade history downloaded from your institution account is NOT VALID. You must scan an official transcript with a watermark or seal. Please see what an Unofficial Transcript is here.
- Residency information (used to determine tuition charges).
- All graduate applicants who have not completed a degree in English must meet the English language proficiency requirement.
- A 500 word statement of academic and professional goals, with a focus on your background, research interests, as well as your interest in working with particular faculty in the Psychology Department. Please explain your reasons for choosing to undertake graduate work in Psychology, your areas of interest, and why you have chosen to apply to Portland State. You will be asked to upload your personal statement in one of the following supported file types: PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, or TIF.
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation and ratings forms. These should come from individuals knowledgeable about the applicant’s abilities (preferably from faculty members at colleges or universities attended). You will need to enter the name and email address for each individual before selecting the “Submit Recommendation Request” button, the recommender will then be sent instructions for providing a letter of recommendation and rating form. You can see the status of each letter by going to the online application system and selecting the link titled “Review Your Activity”. Please make sure your recommendations have been submitted by midnight December 15th. However, do not delay submitting your application until all your recommendations have been received as this may cause you to miss the deadline. Instruct your recommenders to look here for specific instructions: http://www.pdx.edu/psy/lor-instructions.
- GRE Scores. You will need to have your GRE scores sent to the Psychology Department using GRE institution code 4610 with department code 2016. The psychology section of the GRE is not a requirement, however it is recommended for students who feel their GPA is not the strongest feature of their applications.
Note: In addition to having your official GRE scores sent to the department, you will be asked to enter your test scores and upload a copy of your score report, if they are available to you at the time you complete your application, in one of the following supported file types: PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, or TIF.
Optional Supplemental Materials:
Additional material in the form of a C.V. or resume may be uploaded in one of the following supported file types: PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, or TIF. It is strongly recommended that you include your CV in your application materials.
Link to online application:
General timeline for review of applications:
- January or early February, the Graduate Committee meets to review and discuss applications.
- Beginning March 1st, graduate advisors may be in contact with applicants.
- All applicants will be notified of application status by April 15th.