Adding and Editing Questions in a Quiz
Step 1: In the Quizzes tool, select the Layout/Questions tab and then click Add/Edit Questions. A new window opens.
Step 2: From the Create New drop-down list, you have two main options.
- Select Section if you want to organize your questions into folders. For example, you might create a “multiple choice” section where you would put all your multiple choice questions, or a section containing all questions related to a specific topic, such as "Theoretical Fundamentals".
- The New Section page displays.
- Type the name of your section in the Section Name field.
- Click Save. This will bring you back to the drop-down list from Step 2.
- Select a Question type if you want to start adding questions. You have the option to create a range of question types as shown in the image below. Long Answer (LA), Short Answer (SA), Multi-Short Answer (MSA) and Fill in the Blanks (FIB) Questions cannot be graded automatically.
Step 3: Complete the necessary fields for each question type. All following features apply to all question types:
- All question types have an optional Title field. If you do not enter a title, the system will take the full question text and enter it as the title.
- Enter the default number of Points this question is worth.
- The Difficulty Level is optional and the differences between the levels is arbituary.
- Enter your feedback in the Question Feedback area if you want question feedback displayed to the students.
- Enter the text in the Question Hint field to display hints to students.
- Indicate which answer to this question is the correct answer by filling in the Weight using percentages. IMPORTANT! Do not put the points this question is worth in the Weight box. If there is only one correct answer to this question, then enter 100 into the Weight box next to that answer (this means 100%). If there are two correct answers to this question, then enter 50 into the Weight box next to each of these answers.
- Click Save to save the question and return to the main page, Save and Copy to save the question and create a new question of the same type and that retains the copied properties, or click Save and New to continue creating questions of the same type.
Step 4: Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until you have created all the questions for your quiz.
When you have finished your questions you are ready to determine how students receive feedback when taking the quiz. This is explained in the Setting Quiz Feedback Tutorial.