Istanbul, Turkey was the 2006 site for the PICMET (Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology) conference. Istanbul has served as a key link between Europe and Asia for over a millennium. In today's world of business and technology, this link is as relevant and important as it was a thousand years ago.
The theme of PICMET '06 was “Technology Management for the Global Future.” It brought together nearly 500 researchers, high-level decision makers, and government officials from 40 countries. Approximately 300 papers were organized into 35 tracks on such topics as innovation, project management, new product development, technology roadmapping, and information and knowledge management.
Portland State University (PSU) President Dan Bernstine, Provost Roy Koch, PSU Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science Dean Bob Dryden, Maseeh College Dean Emeritus Chik Erzurumlu, and Maseeh College distinguished alumus Dr. Fariborz Maseeh attended PICMET ‘06. A special reception was held after the conference for friends and alumni of Portland State University, including many Turkish alumni.
Among the highlights of the conference were an awards banquet and a dinner cruise on the Bosphorus (a 20-mile-long strait joining the Sea of Marmara with the Black Sea and separating the continents of Europe and Asia). The awards banquet included an Outstanding Student Paper award, Medal of Excellence awards, and Leadership in Technology Management awards. Karim R. Lakhani, from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), was the recipient of the Outstanding Student Paper award.
The Medal of Excellence awards honored three people for their outstanding contributions to science, engineering, and technology management:
- Dr. Fred Betz, former program officer for the National Science Foundation and author of numerous influential books on technology management;
- Dr. Fariborz Maseeh, founder and president of The Massiah Foundation, and a pioneer in the field of MEMS (micro-electro-mechanical systems); and
- Dr. T. Nejat Veziroglu, professor at the University of Miami and foremost expert in the emerging field of hydrogen energy.
The Leadership in Technology Management awards honored four people for providing leadership in management technology by establishing a vision, providing a strategic direction, and facilitating the implementation strategies for that vision:
- Dr. Youngrak Choi, chairman of the Korea Research Council of Public Science and Technology;
- Dr. Tsuneo Nakahara, past vice chairman of Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd., holder of 300 patents, and a pioneer in optic fibers;
- Dr. Mehmet Nimet Ozdas, professor emeritus at Istanbul Technical University, and founder of two Turkish science and technology organizations (TUBITAK and TUSSIDE); and
- Dr. Ed Roberts, professor at MIT, foremost expert in the field of technology-based entrepreneurship, and founder of MIT's Entrepreneurship Center.
PICMET was founded in 1989 by the Department of Engineering and Technology Management (ETM) in the Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science at Portland State University. It is directed by Dr. Dundar Kocaoglu, chair of the ETM Department. Plans are already underway for PICMET '07, to be held in Portland, Oregon, August 5-9, 2007, and for PICMET '08, to be held in Cape Town, South Africa in July 2008. For more information on past or upcoming PICMET conferences, please visit www.picmet.org or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sources: Dr. Tim Anderson and Dr. Dundar Kocaoglu