Sustainable Living on Campus
Below you’ll find simple, practical tips to help you live a healthier, greener life.
- Turn off or unplug lights, appliances, TVs, and computers when not in use.
- Activate power management settings (sleep) on computers, monitors, and printers.
- Focus light where you need it with task lighting.
- Use energy efficient bulbs, like CFLs or LEDs.
- Take advantage of natural light.
- Energize yourself by taking the stairs when feasible.
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- Turn off running water as often as possible while cleaning or brushing your teeth.
- Run the washing machine only when full.
- Shorten your shower.
- Report any plumbing malfunctions such as drips or leaks to your Resident Assistant.
Share, borrow, reuse.
- Use durables and reusables in your kitchen and for when you’re on the go. For drinking water, refill your bottles at the Hydration Locations around campus. Click here for locations.
- Purchase high post-consumer recycled content paper products, refillable pens and printer ink cartridges.
- Opt out of junk mail. Click here to make your request.
- Print double sided and reuse second chance paper.
- Share and store documents electronically whenever practicable.
- Check with PSU’s Reuse Room before making new school supply purchases.
- Use your blue bin to recycle your paper, bottles and cans. Click here to find out how to recycle at PSU.
- Take advtantage of the reuseable takeout containers available in Victors Dining Hall and the Viking Food Court.
- Collect food scraps from your room for composting-Click here for disposal locations.
- Recycle your batteries and fluorescent light bulbs in bins located in Broadway, Ondine, and Montgomery.
- Participate in Chuck-it-for-Charity to donate any reusable items when you move out.
- Donate unneeded clothing or shoes anytime to the Gaia boxes (between Blumel and King Albert).
Choose safer, environmentally-responsible, and local products.
- Look for non-toxic or least toxic laundry detergents and bathroom/kitchen cleaning products. Click here for Green Seal-certified products.
- The free PSU Chinook Book mobile ap includes coupons for numerous local businesses!
- Eating more sustainably is easy at restaurants like Hot Lips Pizza, Lauhging Planet, and PSU's own Green Roots Cafe. Click here for more about sustainable food.