Search Google Appliance

Space Survey

Instructions | Useful Links | FAQs

The Campus Planning Office conducts an Annual Space Survey in order to update and maintain the University’s Space Database, consisting of a room inventory with approximately 14,000 locations and over 5 million square feet of space in owned and leased buildings. 

The Space Database is a critical part of Finance and Administration. This database provides important information for the Federal Finance and Administration Cost Recovery Rate, internal/external reporting and analysis, master planning, facilities maintenance, logistics, and mail services.


Space Survey Deadline:

The 2014 space survey deadline is Friday, December 5, 2014.  Please contact the space analyst, Amanda Wolf, before this date to set up a meeting to discuss your department’s space or email the completed Corrections Form and Additional Employee List to  

Completing the Space Survey:

This year the Campus Planning Office is offering one-on-one meetings with Space Coordinators to complete the surveys. This will help reduce the amount of time you need to spend on your space survey and allow departments to ask any questions or concerns you have about your space.    

You will receive an excel document, via email, with the following information:

  • Space Allocation Report
  • Corrections Form
  • Additional Employee List

Once you have received your email please contact the Space Analyst, Amanda Wolf, at or 5-4939 to set up a one-on-one meeting. Depending on the size of your department, these meetings should take less than one hour. If you prefer to do the space survey on your own, see the instructions below.

Instructions for Completing your Space Survey: 

  1. Your Space Allocation Report lists the rooms allocated to your department and their usage according to Campus Planning Office records.  It may be useful to print this form to take with your while walking your department’s spaces.  
  2. Review the PSU Functional Use Codes and the Location Type Codes (link below) to see which apply to the spaces in your department.
  3. Walk through each room on your report and check the “Department/Organization”, “Location Type,” and “Functional Use”.
    1. If you see a room that your department uses that is not on the report, make a note of it
    2. If you see a room that is on your report that your department does not use, make a note of it.
    3. If you see a room that your department shares with another department, make a note of it.
    4. If you see a room that is being used for a function that differs from the Space Allocation Report, make a note of it.
  4. Fill out the Corrections Form electronically to make changes, add rooms or delete rooms that you marked on the survey.  
    1. If it is easier for you make corrections on the Space Allocation Report feel free to do so.  Please make sure that you highlight any changes you make.
    2. If you are unsure what Location Type Code or Use Code to use then please just document what the room is used for and the Space Analyst will determine which code(s) best suits the room.
  5. For each room add the name of the primary occupant, employee type (i.e. support staff, faculty, academic professional, dean, chair, etc.), and the primary occupant’s Odin ID.  For all additional employees occupying the space please use the Additional Employee Worksheet to add them.
  6. Email the excel spreadsheet with the completed Space Allocation, Correction Form and Additional Employees Worksheet to Amanda Wolf,, by Friday, December 6, 2013.
  7. If you need any assistance completing the 2013 Space Survey, please contact Amanda Wolf, or 503-725-4939.  

    Useful links:

    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

    Why is the Annual Space Survey Important?

    The facilities component of PSU’s Federal F&A rate is allocated based on the results of the survey. The facilities component is the only uncapped portion of the F&A rate (i.e. the only area where PSU has the potential to increase its reimbursement of costs associated with conducting research on campus).

    What Impact will I have?

    The quality of your response determines the accuracy and defensibility of the allocation of costs in the F&A Rate Proposal. 

    The final F&A rate negotiated determines the amount of money recovered by PSU top support the current and future resources requirements of the research enterprise

    In short, your effort will impact the financial resources of Portland State University.

    Why do I need to add occupants?

    There are several reasons why the addition of occupants is important to daily functions at PSU:

    1. Facilities and Property Management is working on new Key Authorization procedures, which will include a module through AiM (work request database) to submit key request.  
    2. The Campus Planning Office will use this information to better work with departments and schools on space planning. 
    3. The Indirect Cost Recovery rate is based on research space linking funding with the Primary Investigators and their space.
    4. During emergency situations it is important for the Campus Public Safety Office to know who is located in each building on campus.

    Why do you need ODIN IDs?

    When OIT created the crosswalk between the AiM Space Database and Banner employee records, a unique identifier was needed for every employee. OIT determined that Odin IDs would be that unique identifier. If you don’t have employee Odin IDs you can leave this column blank.

    Why don’t you have the occupants listed that I provided last year?

    The Campus Planning Office has been working with OIT to create a crosswalk between Banner and the Space Database. We have implemented the crosswalk, but unfortunately we were not able to get all employees recorded from the last years’ survey.     

    How do I determine the functional usage of a room?

    Space should be functionalized based on the activities performed in the area. When space is occupied by multiple departments the frequency and intensity of their presence should be considered in determining the percentage of functional activity.

    Example: Non-Class Lab with two Occupants

     Two research assistants share the lab, one is working full-time on an organized research grant and the other is working part-time on a Department Research program, using the lab only about 25% of the time. 

    How to Code: 75% Organized Research (ORGRES) & 25% Department Research (DEPTRES)

     Some rooms may have more than one or two uses. Be sure that you include all functional uses for every room, ensuring that the Functional Usages adds up to 100%.

    Common Space Survey Mistakes:

    NOT walking or being familiar with space. It is important to make sure that you are familiar with the space you are surveying. Sometimes this will require talking to the occupants of particular space to get a better idea of the functional use of that space

    Claiming 100% organized research. Not all research space is considered organized research, nor is the entire functional use of a room for organized research. You need to make sure that the functional uses reflect the actual activity of each room. (i.e If students are using a research (non-class lab) then a portion of this lab must be coded as instructional support (INSTRUP)). 

    Confusing Organized Research with Departmental Research or Other Sponsored Activities. Read the definitions of the three different functional use codes carefully. If there are any questions about what functional use code to use, don’t hesitate to contact the Space Analyst.

    All lab service areas should be functionalized similar to the surrounding lab or labs. If you have a lab service area, it should be functionalized the same as the lab it serves.

    Academic Departments should never use the functional use code General Administration. Academic Departments will always use Department Administration (DEPTADM) for their administration spaces.

    The Academic Library Functions should ONLY be used for the Millar Library. All Departmental library space should be coded as Departmental Administration (DEPTADM)