Reduce your footprint. Enjoy life.
Below you’ll find simple, practical tips to help you live a healthier, greener life.
- Turn off or unplug lights, appliances, TVs, and computers when not in use.
- Activate power management settings (sleep) on computers, monitors, and printers.
- Instead of brightly lighting an entire room, focus light where you need it with task lighting.
- Use energy efficient bulbs, like compact fluorescent (CFLs) or LEDs.
- Take advantage of natural light by adjusting your blinds throughout the day.
- Energize yourself by taking the stairs when feasible.
- Wash clothes in cold water.
- Turn off running water as often as possible while doing household chores such as cleaning or brushing your teeth.
- Run the washing machine only when it is full.
- Shorten your shower. Turn off shower water while shampooing/conditioning your hair.
- Be sure to report any plumbing malfunctions such as drips, leaks, or other repair needs to University Housing by contacting your Resident Assistant.
Share, borrow, reuse.
- Use durables and reusables in your kitchen and for when you’re on the go. For drinking water, refill your bottles at the Hydration Locations around campus. Click here for locations.
- Purchase high post-consumer recycled content paper products, refillable pens and printer ink cartridges.
- Opt out of junk mail. Click here to make your request.
- Print double sided and reuse second chance paper.
- Share and store documents electronically whenever practicable.
- Check with PSU’s Reuse Room before making new school supply purchases.
Close the loop.
- Use your blue bin to recycle your paper, bottles and cans. Click here to find out how to recycle at PSU.
- Take advtantage of the reuseable takeout containers available in Victors Dining Hall and the Viking Food Court.
- Compost your food scraps at various locations around campus. Click here for locations.
- Recycle your batteries and fluorescent light bulbs in bins located in Broadway, Ondine, and Montgomery residence halls.
- Participate in Chuck-it-for-Charity to donate any reusable items when you leave school.
Choose safer, environmentally-responsible cleaning products.
Look for non-toxic or least toxic laundry detergents and bathroom/kitchen cleaning products. Click here for Green Seal-certified products.
Contact the Campus Sustainability Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-725-8951 to get a sticker for your light switch.