Purchase wisely. Reduce your impact.
Below you’ll find best practices and procurement strategies to help you make smarter and more sustainable purchasing decisions. Consider the embodied emissions associated with raw materials acquisition, manufacturing, distribution, use, and disposal of a product and take steps to reduce the negative impacts on the environment and society.
- Purchase products made from recycled materials and materials that can be reused. Use post-consumer recycled content paper and office supplies, refillable pens and remanufactured toner cartridges instead of virgin items.
Purchase durable and reusable goods.
- Consider durability and reparability of products prior to purchase. Instead of making purchases solely based on the lowest purchase price, consider a product's estimated life span, energy, maintenance, consumable supplies and disposal costs.
Order products less frequently or in bulk.
- This is especially beneficial for office supplies.
Utilize surplus property.
- PSU’s Reuse Room offers reusable, donated office & school supplies, and the Surplus Property Program redistributes reusable furniture to PSU departments and the community.
- Chlorine Free Products Association
- Forest Stewardship Council
- ENERGY STAR
- Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT)
- Green Guard
- Green Seal
Look for products certified to meet sustainability standards, whenever practicable.
Purchase non-toxic or least toxic products.
- Products with fewer or no toxic chemicals can reduce hazardous waste disposal, future liability concerns, and the risk of occupational exposure and spills.