Get involved. Be an agent of change.
Below you’ll find best practices and strategies to help you promote conservation and stewardship within your classroom. Preventing waste and reducing our use of water and energy all minimize PSU's footprint and help us achieve our sustainability goals.
- Turn off lights, equipment, and appliances when you leave each night. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a "lights off" reminder sticker for your classroom.
- Plug equipment into a power strip and switch off when not in use.
- Take advantage of natural light by adjusting blinds throughout the day.
- Check classrooms for updated lighting fixtures (T8 or T5 electronic ballasts for linear fluorescent lighting and LED-lit exit signs), and if needed, submit a work order.
- Energize yourself by taking the stairs when feasible.
- Check sinks in restrooms for updated faucet aerators (0.5 gallons per minute [gpm] or lower in restrooms, 1.5 gpm or lower in kitchens).
- Be sure to report any plumbing malfunctions such as drips, leaks, or other repair needs to Facilities & Planning Department as necessary.
- Use reusable water bottles instead of disposable. Refill them at Hydration Locations on campus! Click here for locations.
- Set your printer to duplex mode and reuse second chance paper.
- Share documents electronically when feasible.
- Purchase high post-consumer recycled paper content products, refillable pens and remanufactured toner cartridges.
- Use durable kitchenware for meetings and events.
- Check with PSU’s Reuse Room and Surplus Property Program before making new office supply or furniture purchases.
- Purchase ENERGY STAR® 5.0 and EPEAT computers, electronics, and equipment when practicable.
- Choose Garamond, one of PSU's official fonts, because it uses less ink than other fonts.
Recycle and Compost.
- Use the bins in the halls to recycle all paper, bottles and cans. Click here to learn more about recycling at PSU.
- Collect and compost your food scraps when feasible. Click here for compost locations
- Recycle your electronics, batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, Styrofoam, clamshell plastic containers, and plastic film. Click here to submit a work order.
- Utilize PSU’s ReUse Room to donate usable office equipment and supplies, or the Surplus Property Program for furniture.