After the Flood: Moving to 'Oregon Ship'
Location of Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation in north Portland. Director Stephen Epler wryly observed, "We are fortunate in having probably the largest single college parking lot in the nation and perhaps the world."
Vanport director Stephen Epler at the administration building of the former Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, the new home of the Vanport Extension Center, fall 1948.
Students named the Oregon shipyard building Vanport College, even though it was still officially Vanport Extension Center.
Students change the name of the building to Portland State College in anticipation of the institution's future, even though its official name upon moving to Portland in 1952 would be Portland State Extension Center..