Search Google Appliance

Residential FAQ

If you have a question about PSU's residential telephone and internet services the FAQs do not resolve, please see the Further Resources section for assistance.

Residential Telephones

When will my phone service start?

Your service should be active upon moving in to your new apartment.

Why am I getting calls for someone else in my new apartment?

Each University Housing apartment has an assigned telephone number and it is possible that you are receiving calls for a previous occupant. Inform callers of your new occupancy. If unwanted calls persist, contact Campus Public Safety at 5-4407 for further instructions.

Why can't I make a call to an off-campus number?

To call a local number, dial 9 (for off-campus access) and the local ten-digit number you want to reach. To make a long distance call from your room a prepaid calling card or MobileSphere access number will need to be used.

How do I make a domestic or international long distance call from my University Housing phone?

Calls must be made using MobileSphere account, a prepaid calling card or via a toll-free access number.

MobileSphere CellularLD Service Advisory: For your security, since calling from registered phone numbers DO NOT require you to enter an account number (PIN), please DO NOT register a phone number that might be used by other parties. Since all calls made from that phone number using our access phone number will be charged to your account. When dialing from a residence phone use the account number (PIN) provided in the welcome e-mail.

Callers are getting my voicemail, but I didn't hear the phone or I only heard a half ring. What's going on?

Your phone has been forwarded to voicemail. Pick up your receiver and press #88 to deactivate this feature.

I have call waiting but I keep hanging up on the other person. Why is this?

Our system requires that you press the flash button, then * 4 to switch to the second caller. Depending on your telephone model, you may have a flash button, a switch hook, or the on/off button may recall dial tone. Repeat the same procedure to return to the first caller.

What do I do if my telephone isn't working?

First, borrow someone else's working phone and plug it into your telephone jack (ivory jack - not an orange one). Listen for a dial tone. Place a test call. If this test phone works, the problem is in your telephone. If this phone does not work, call University Housing at 5-4394. There is a fee for the technician's labor if the problem was caused by the user or the user's equipment.

Residential Internet

What does my computer need to communicate with the PSU network?

Internet service will be active and ready for use when you move into your apartment. You must have two things to connect to Internet service; a network card (NIC card) and an Ethernet cable. For help finding out if your computer has a NIC card, contact the Helpdesk. Ethernet cables can be purchased at the PSU Bookstore.

What is ResNet1/ResNet2?

ResNet1 is the high-speed internet connection available to students living in Blackstone’s 1st floor, Blumel, Broadway, Epler, Ondine, and Parkway. ResNet2 is the high-speed internet connection available to students living in University Housing historic buildings: Blackstone (floors 2-5), King Albert, Montgomery Court, Parkway Manor, St. Helen's, or Stratford.

Can I use my telephone service while using my ResNet2 Internet service?

You may use your ResNet2 connection simultaneously with your telephone service. If you are subscribing to ResNet2 service and you already have existing PSU telephone service, you may experience a brief interruption of telephone service (3-5 minutes) when your ResNet2 connection is made.

Further Resources

For help with using residential telephone and cable services, contact Telecommunication Systems.