Remote Assistance (Bomgar)
The Helpdesk uses a screen sharing software called Bomgar, which allows a Helpdesk technician to establish a connection to your computer and interact with it from a remote location. This allows technicians to see exactly what kinds of problematic behavior your computer is exhibiting and even to temporarily take control to assist you in troubleshooting and fixing the problem, as if they were right in front of the computer with you.
Connecting to Bomgar
To initiate a connection with a technician:
- Go to remote.oit.pdx.edu.
- Select the name of the technician with whom you are speaking.
- Download the file.
- Note: If offered a choice of opening or saving the file, select "Save".
- Run the downloaded file.
- Wait as the software automatically configures and connects itself.
Some things to keep in mind:
- This does not enable technicians to connect to and take over your computer at any time. You must run the software each time to allow the connection to take place.
- You can revoke the technician's control of your computer at any time by clicking on the red 'X' button on the client program.
- Please do not move the mouse while the technician is in control or it will cause the program to behave slowly, and could cause the technician to inadvertently click on something, slowing your support call.
- If you end a support session, this will also remove the sharing software. In order to reconnect, go to remote.oit.pdx.edu.
- Only attempt to connect with a Helpdesk technician when prompted to do so.
Contact the Helpdesk for additional assistance.