Non-PSU Group Membership
Anyone with an @pdx.edu email address can be a member of a Google Group in the pdx.edu Google domain. To add non-pdx email addresses to the group membership, you need to enable external members through the Groups administrative interface.
Adding Non-PSU Accounts to Groups
To enable membership in your Google Group for individuals without PSU email addresses, follow these steps:
- Go to groups.pdx.edu.
- Select "My groups" from the menu on the left.
- Select your group from the list of groups that appear in the center of your page.
- Select the gear icon in the upper right corner.
- Select Group Settings.
- Select Permissions, then Basic Permissions from the menu on the left.
- Next to "Allow members external to this organization", check the box which reads "Allow new users not in pdx.edu".
- Select Save. You can now add non-PSU email addresses (non-pdx.edu) to the group membership.
Note: Staff groups should not share any sensitive data with groups that allow non-PSU member access. Please refer to the Google Apps FAQ, PSU Acceptable Use Policy and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) for more information on the appropriateness and legality of such information access.
A group can also be part of another group. For more information about nested groups, view the Google topic Add a group to another group.
There is no limit to number of members a group can have. However, Google has strict policies on spam and in public groups they limit the number of addresses that can be added at a time, to prevent the possibility of spam groups.
Contact the Helpdesk for additional assistance.