PSU Google Sites
Google Sites will help you to build your own websites with easy-to-use, intuitive tools. Google Sites are easy to set up and allow you to quickly put together a website, without requiring experience or knowledge of web design or coding.
Using Google Sites
Google Sites are not intended to establish the online presence of a department or program at Portland State. For those purposes, University Communications (UComm) has built a very powerful Enterprise Drupal environment. To learn more about how to take advantage of this, visit UComm's Web Communications page. Google Sites are a great fit for an internal resource site, however. Internal resource sites can be used by your team/department to collaborate on projects or act as a central repository for your group's content.
Creating a Google Site
To create a Google Site, follow these steps:
- Go to sites.pdx.edu.
- Select the Create button.
- Configure your site as desired on the next page.
- Select Create again.
After creating your new Google Site, you will receive an automated email, requesting that you provide some basic information about your site, including contact info, site purpose, and deletion date. Filling out this form is required as part of the Google Site creation process and you will continue to receive the emails until completing it. Submitting the form helps the Office of Information Technology (OIT) keep track of data usage in the Google Sites app. OIT will never delete a site without multiple attempts to contact the site owners (unless it is in violation of the Acceptable Use Policy).
Transferring Ownership of a Google Site
You should transfer ownership of your Google Site if you are leaving the University, to ensure continued access by either yourself or your team. Transferring ownership is as simple as inviting someone else to be an owner via the site's sharing options. You can find complete instructions at Transferring site ownership.
If you are a student, you can change ownership to your consumer Google account. If you are an employee, OIT recommends that you share the site with your entire team by using a Google Group.
- There are no site redirects. The site URL is created by Google and will not be change by PSU.
- Advertisements and links to donation/payment sites such as PayPal, etc., are not permitted on PSU Google Sites unless approval for exemption is obtained by the Associate VP for Finance and Controller.
- PSU reserves the right to rename, disable, delete, or modify settings of Google Sites that are not in compliance with PSU policy.
- Google Sites Learning Center - This site will help you get started with Google Sites and learn the basics.
- Google Sites Help - Once you've mastered the basics, this site can provide answers to most specific questions you may have about Google Sites.
- You can also contact the Helpdesk for additional assistance.