Converting Files to PDF
This is a guide for converting files to PDF from some of the most frequently used programs in the IDSC: Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign. Additionally, native PDF support is available under the Print menu in most programs. Please note that files submitted to the IDSC for printing must be in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. The IDSC does not accept other file formats for printing.
Converting Office 2013/2010 to PDF
To convert files to PDF format using Microsoft Office 2013, do the following:
- On the Menu bar, select File > Export > Create PDF/XPS Document > Save Document. Note: You may be prompted to save twice, first as a DOC file, then as a PDF file.
- On the Menu bar, select File > Print > Save as PDF.
Converting Adobe Products to PDF
When exporting to PDF from another Adobe software package, be sure to review the PDF settings. If you are unsatisfied with the image quality, try these steps:
- Change the "Export Adobe PDF" compression options to "Do Not Downsample."
- De-select the "Compress Text & Line Art" check box.
If you experience issues when creating a PDF, be sure to use an official Adobe PDF product to generate the PDF. Many third-party non-Adobe products have previously created artifacts and other unexpected issues when exporting to PDF.
Photoshop / Illustrator
- On the Menu bar, select File > Save as.
- Choose PDF as your format.
- Save the document.
- On the Menu bar, select File > Export.
- Save the type as a PDF.
For more information regarding PDF's, please see the PDF Tools page.
Contact the Helpdesk for additional assistance.