McAfee is provided by PSU free of charge to students, faculty, and staff to provide virus protection for your computer.
Portland State University’s license for McAfee VirusScan is available to all current PSU Faculty, Staff and Students. This software should be uninstalled once you are no longer affiliated with the University. You must uninstall any existing Antivirus software from your computer prior to installing McAfee VirusScan. Failure to do so can cause system instability or other erroneous errors.
How to install for Windows
- Download McAfee AntiVirus for Windows
- Make a selection based on your computer type this will also begin downloading McAfee Virus-Scan.
- After McAfee Virus-Scan is downloaded, restart your computer to complete the install process.
- When your computer restarts, look for a red 'M' in your system tray to ensure the installation completed properly.
How to install for Mac
- Download McAfee AntiVirus for Mac. If you have an older Mac (OSX 10.5 or earlier), download the 10.4-5 version of McAfee.
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen directions. Be sure to restart your computer to complete the install process. After your computer restarts, look for a red 'M' in your menu bar to ensure the installation completed properly.
McAfee VirusScan is resistant to uninstallation to protect itself from removal attempts by malicious software. If you have any questions about or difficulties with any of the steps below, contact the User Support Services Helpdesk for assistance.
How to uninstall from Windows
- Click on ‘Start’ type cmd and press enter (for Windows XP click ‘Start’ select ‘Run’ type cmd )
- Type the underlined text into the black box that appears cd C:\program files (x86)\mcafee\common framework
- Then press enter and type frminst.exe /forceuninstall to remove the McAfee Agent
- Once complete click ‘Start’ then control panel, select uninstall a program and select "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise" and select Uninstall.
- After the uninstaller completes, restart your computer. You should no longer see the McAfee icon in the system tray.
How to uninstall from Mac
- Open Finder
- Select Applications
- Locate McAfee Security Uninstaller and run it
- Enter your Keychain password and press the Return key
- When the process is completed, restart your computer
If you encounter any issues during the installation process, or have questions or comments about McAfee at PSU, contact the User Support Services Helpdesk.