McAfee is provided by PSU free of charge to students, faculty, and staff to provide virus protection for your computer. This software should be uninstalled once you are no longer affiliated with the University. You must uninstall any existing anti-virus software from your computer prior to installing McAfee VirusScan. Failure to do so can cause system instability or other erroneous errors.
- Download McAfee AntiVirus for Windows.
- Make a selection based on your computer type this will also begin downloading McAfee Virus-Scan.
- After McAfee Virus-Scan is downloaded, restart your computer to complete the install process.
- When your computer restarts, look for a red 'M' in your system tray to ensure the installation completed properly.
- Download McAfee AntiVirus for Mac.
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen directions. Be sure to restart your computer to complete the install process. After your computer restarts, look for a red 'M' in your menu bar to ensure the installation completed properly.
McAfee VirusScan is resistant to uninstallation to protect itself from removal attempts by malicious software. The Helpdesk provides a tool for uninstalling McAfee on a Windows computer. If you need to uninstall it on a Mac or have any difficulties with the steps below, contact the Helpdesk for assistance.
- Download the McAfee Uninstaller Tool.
- Open the folder that the tool downloaded into and double-click it to run the program.
- Follow the instructions that appear onscreen.
Contact the Helpdesk for additional assistance.