Faculty Advising Initiative
The primary goal of this project was to create an integrated professional and faculty advising system that includes an online faculty resource guide for advising, comprehensive online advising tutorials, and ongoing training sessions to ensure the success of faculty advisers.
- Increased faculty understanding of non-major graduation requirements (BA, BS, BFA, BM, and University Studies)
- Increased faculty competence in reading and understanding Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)
- Increased faculty referrals of students to campus resources due to improved understanding of University resources
- Improved faculty and student satisfaction with overall advising experience
This project created a comprehensive set of advising resources to increase faculty understanding of non-major graduation requirements. Making these resources available to faculty through the faculty advising website, online faculty advising guide, and the delivery of ongoing training sessions ensures that all faculty have access to the information they need to succeed as advisers.
These resources also equip all faculty with the tools to provide students with accurate and consistent information. By ensuring that all departments have access to the same information on advising requirements, students are more likely to have a positive experience and continue seeing advisers after their first-year mandatory advising requirement has been met. The ongoing ripple effects of this holds great potential to dramatically improve student success and retention.
- Martha Dyson - Academic Adviser, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
- Robert Mercer - Assistant Dean, Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Daniel Fortmiller - Associate Vice President, Academic & Career Services
- Karen Kennedy - Academic Adviser/Intl Student Liaison
- Paloma Harrison - Academic Adviser, College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
PROJECT MANAGEMENT TEAM
- Senior Project Manager - Hans VanDerSchaaf
- Project Manager - Sarah Traxler
- Project Coordinator - Brandi Bush Bergkvist
- Project Assistant - Lia Halverson