Reaching Out: Utilizing Technology to Enhance the Student Experience
The purpose of the Reaching Out Project was to utilize technology in the School of Business Administration to enhance the undergraduate student experience: put systems in place to offer on-line advising and job counseling using video chats and create two promotional videos about the value of a business degree with a direct link to apply to SBA undergraduate programs.
- Produced three promotional videos about the value of a business degree for the SBA website including the use of web analytics that tracked video views and website hits.
- Created Standards of Practice (SOP) for distance advising including:
a) SOP for advisors - how to advise Online including Worksheet tools and technology use routines.
b) SOP for students - how can students access Online appointments and what tools do they need to do so.
- Executed a student satisfaction survey that measured web page quality and advising availability/satisfaction.
By utilizing technologies and adding systems to offer online advising and job counseling to students, the project provided access to services traditionally offered only face-to-face. The addition of laptops and video equipment resulted in our ability to increase effectiveness of advising and recruiting efforts. Undergraduate Advisors provided over 40 Skype or Google hangout appointments to students throughout the globe. Creating an effective distance advising and recruiting plan produced greater connections made between advisee and advisor. A standard of practice was developed for delivering appointments via video chat, which will be shared with the PSU campus to use as they develop systems and practices for distance advising. The marketing videos helped with our recruitment efforts and gave the SBA website a more modern feel. The student exit survey on advising and web/email communication satisfaction gave the Undergraduate Program feedback on areas for improvement.
STATUS - COMPLETE
- Becky Sanchez - Director, Undergraduate Programs Office, School of Business Administration
- Nathanial Garrod, Degree Completion Specialist, School of Business Administration
- Saori Clark - Academic Advisor, School of Business Administration
- Haley Holmes - Academic Advisor, School of Business Administration
- Doug Siegler - Academic Advisor, School of Business Administration
- Wenye Tang - Director of Marketing and Recruitment, Undergraduate Business Programs, School of Business Administration
- Keri McGee - Academic Advisor, School of Business Administration
- Ashley Storey- Academic advisor School of Business Administration
- Scott Marshall - Associate Dean of Graduate Programs, School of Business Administration
- Erica Wagner - Associate Dean of Undergraduate Programs, School of Business Administration
PROJECT MANAGEMENT TEAM
- Project Manager - Hans VanDerSchaaf
Project Assistant - Lia Halverson