Online Academic Advising & Career Development Modules
The primary goal of this project was to help increase student success by creating online academic advising and career development modules that can be used throughout Portland State University. Topics covered include: explanation of graduation requirements and University policies and procedures; information about campus resources; using PSU’s Degree Audit Reporting System; understanding the career planning process (i.e., self-assessment, major and career exploration, importance of relevant experience, career decision-making, and job search strategies); and the Portland labor market.
- Created D2L advising modules to include explanation of graduation requirements, university policies and procedures, explanation of DARS and information about campus resources.
- Created D2L career development modules that include information on the career planning process - i.e. self-assessment, career exploration, gaining experience, major and career decision-making, job search strategies, and the Portland labor market.
- Created 19 videos in these two modules, covering advising and career topics.
These two modules support PSU efforts to improve retention, graduation, and employment rates by changing the rote nature of some interactions with students and allowing the focus to be on the individual and unique needs of students. The modules are available to all students 24 hours per day. Additionally, these modules support student success by increasing students’ understanding and awareness of the path to earning a degree and preparing for their future. In a time where there is increased attention on both degree completion and employment outcomes, it is essential that PSU provide students with the information and tools they need to be successful.
STATUS - COMPLETE
- Mary Ann Barham - Director, Advising & Career Services
- Dan Fortmiller, Associate Vice President Academic & Career Services
- Becki IngersolI - Associate Director, Advising & Career Services
- Greg Flores - Associate Director, Advising & Career Services
- Tom Curtis - Instructional Designer, Advising & Career Services
- Kris Henning - Associate Dean, College of Urban & Public Affairs
- Casey Campbell - Academic Adviser, Psychology Department
- Melissa Trifiletti - Director, New Student Programs
- Doug Síegler - School of Business Administration
- Becky Einolf - School of Business Administration
- Bill Ryder - Director, Enrollment Management Communication Technology
- Advising & Career Services (ACS)
- PSU Alumni Association
PROJECT MANAGEMENT TEAM
- Senior Project Manager - Hans VanDerSchaaf
- Project Manager - Sarah Traxler
- Project Coordinator - Brandi Bush Bergkvist
- Project Assistant - Lia Halverson