Digitizing the Process: Development of a digital Academic Requirements Committee (ARC) Petition
The purpose of the Digitizing the Process Project was to create on-line resources, including workflows and electronic signatures, to accelerate the Academic Requirements Committee petition process. Digitizing this process will enable us to rethink every aspect of our petitions, eliminate redundancies, create institutional memory, and work toward a paperless environment.
Deployment of a fully functional digital ARC petition.
Trained appropriate faculty and staff on the use of the digital ARC petition.
- Increased efficiency of the ARC petition process by reducing turnaround time from up to 10 weeks to the average petition taking between 1-10 days to be reviewed and processed.
The purpose of this project was to develop an online academic requirements petition process for students that would increase the efficiency of the process for both students submitting petitions, as well as for reviewers. The project used OnBase, PSU's enterprise document imaging and workflow solution in every step of the electronic deliverable from the online form to workflow to electronic approvals. This would not have been possible without the major Hyland OnBase project OIT funded and implemented in 2012. Within the first month of launching the new process, the processing time of submitted petitions was significantly reduced from up to 10 weeks to between 1-10 days.
Another key component of this project involved implementing an online internal review process, which allows Academic Requirements Committee members to review and vote on petitions prior to ARC meetings. Digitizing this process has expedited the approval process and has also reduced meeting times for the Academic Requirements Committee.
Additional impacts include promoting a greater understanding of PSU’s policies and procedures around petitioning academic requirements and eliminating the risk of losing physical paperwork.
STATUS - COMPLETE
- Randi Harris - Special Assistant to the Vice Provost for Academic Innovation and Student Success, Office of Academic Affairs
- Nicole DuPont, Associate Registrar, Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
- Angela Garbarino, Assistant Director for Degree Requirements & Veterans Certification Admissions, Records & Registration, Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
- Anna Pittioni, Degree Certification Specialist, Admissions, Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
- Becki Ingersoll, Associate Director, Advising & Career Services
- Katherine Barich, Program Scheduler, University Studies
- Cody Rich, Office Specialist, University Studies
- Jerrod Thomas, Interim Director, User Support Services - Office of Information Technology
- Karenna Wait - Project Manager, Office of Information Technology
- Roger Linhart, Application Support Specialist, Office of Information Technology
- Brodie Franklin, Business Process/ Workflow Analyst, Office of Information Technology
- Alan MacCormack - Chair, Academic & Research Computing
- Yves Labissiere - Interim Director, University Studies
- Cindy Baccar - Registrar, Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
PROJECT MANAGEMENT TEAM
- Project Manager - Hans VanDerSchaaf
- Project Assistant - Lia Halverson