ME Machine Shop
Summer Term Hours: Monday-Thursday 8:00am-5:00pm
The MME machine shop provides support for various faculty research, student projects and academic courses. The Instrumentation and equipment for research and lab experiments are built in the shop by faculty, students and MME's Development Engineer Mike Chuning.
Students are introduced to the shop in their sophomore year when they take ME 241, Manufacturing Process. During their senior year, students use the shop to build their mini-projects and to fabricate their capstone projects. Every other year, a course in CNC programing is offered.
- Conventional Lathes and Milling Machines
- 2 and 3 axis Milling Machines
- Brake and Shear (Sheet Metal capability)
- Welding (Mig, Tig and Acetylene torch)
- Plastic Injection Molding
- Precision Surface Grinding
- Rapid Prototyping Machine
- Laser Cutter
- CNC Programming (Master Cam X5)
- Shop Safety Course Registration Form (to be submitted to the MME Office to add your name to the wait list)
- Machine Shop Waiver and Policy (to be submitted at the start of the 1st session of the Shop Safety Course)
- Shop Key Card Access Request (to be completed after training and logging 40 supervised hours)
- Machine Shop Weekend Access Request (to be completed prior to the weekend you wish to have access for)
Access to the shop is defined in levels of training, experiences and trust that are described below.
Level 1: To Access Shop Monday Thru Friday 8am till 5pm with MCECS staff supervision, students
- Must complete a 5 hour safety course, or
- Complete the ME241 lab, and
- Must complete and sign a Machine Shop Waiver and Policy form, and
- Must have Level 1 access approved by the shop supervisor and the department chair.
Level 2: To Access Shop Monday Thru Friday 8am till 10pm without MCECS staff supervision, students
- Must complete the requirements for Level 1 access, and
- Must complete 40 hours of Machine time with supervision, and
- Must have Level 2 access approved by the shop supervisor and the department chair.
Level 3: To Access Shop during posted hours on Saturdays, Sundays, and approved University Holidays without MCECS staff supervision, students
- Must complete for Level 2 access, and
- Must fill out and submit a Machine Shop Weekend Access Request form, and
- Must have Level 3 access approved by the shop supervisor and the department chair, and
- Must adhere to the time limits for weekend access that are posted in the shop.
Throughout the academic year, the MME department will offer the shop safety course. The shop safety course is filled on a first come, first serve basis and offered when there are enough students to fill the course. Students interested in signing up for the course must fill out the registration form and a Machine Shop Waiver and Policy and return it to Molly Meyer or drop it off at the MME office.