How to Apply
Graduate Degrees - Application Process
Students must meet Departmental, College, and University requirements to gain admission to, and to complete a graduate degree in Mechanical or Materials Engineering.
Students wishing to be admitted into a Mechanical or Materials Engineering graduate program must submit two applications. The first to the university and a second to the department. Applications should be submitted concurrently. Students must be admitted to both the university and the department.
PSU Application Information
You can contact the MME office via email if you have any questions: email@example.com.
Application Deadlines for Admission to the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
· Fall Term: Priority funding deadline - January 15th, 2013**. Last day to submit an application May 1, 2013
· Spring Term: December 1
** Students who wish to be considered for a priority decision on a funding package must have their applications submitted no later then January 15th, 2013. The department will continue to accept applications until May 1, 2013.
Applicants must submit two application packets -- one to PSU Admissions, and one to the Department as described below. The admission process will be delayed if incomplete applications are submitted.
Please read the following checklist carefully before continuing on to the Departmental Online Application; be prepared to submit the requested items electronically:
- One official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended, clearly illustrating an earned Bachelors in ME or a closely related field. (The MME Department follows PSU guidelines in regards to GPA minimums, in this case, 3.0 or the international equivalent.)
- Three letters of recommendation. It is preferred that at least one of the recommendations be from a faculty member or an academic advisor. These recommendations should come directly from the evaluator to the Department in sealed/signed envelopes or via email. Recommenders will be notified via email once they have been listed on the Departmental online application.
- Statement of Purpose and resume or curriculum vitae. For PhD Students it is strongly recommended that applicants discuss research opportunities with faculty in advance of applying and they should specify a specific area of interest or desired advisor within their statement of purpose.
- Ph.D. applicants must submit GRE general test scores (this may be waived in the case of a student who has received their B.S. from an ABET-accredited school and their M.S. from PSU).
- M.S. applicants with Bachelor's degrees from non-engineering disciplines or from non-ABET accredited engineering programs are strongly encouraged to submit GRE general test scores. Students intending to continue on for Ph.D. and applying with only a B.S. degree must enter the program as a Masters candidate.
- International applicants, or students having graduated from an institution that did not teach their coursework in English, must provide passing TOEFL/IELTS/PTE scores. The MME Department follows PSU guidelines for English proficiency. Those guidelines can be found here.
- When the Department has received all of the above, the student's application will be reviewed by the MME graduate admissions committee. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Since the Ph.D. student must have a supervising advisor for admittance, all prospective Ph.D. students must contact one of the faculty members in their research area of interest prior to submitting their Ph.D. application. If the Graduate Committee is unable to match a PhD applicant to a supervising advisor after having reviewed the file, the student will not be admitted to the program.
MME Online Application
Please follow the link to fill out the online departmental application; you will be required to create an account in order to start that process. You may save your progress and return to the application at any time by using that log in information.
Please note: If you do not register for the term to which you are admitted, your admission will be automatically cancelled unless you notify PSU Admissions and the Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering of your intent to change the date of enrollment. Notification must be given prior to the term for which you are admitted by filling out and returning a Change of Admission Term form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to supply complete and accurate information on all paperwork will subject a student to the University's policies governing academic dishonesty.