Engineering Work Experience (EWX MME)
The Engineering Work Experience (EWX) program help students obtain engineering work experience at technology companies in the Portland region. The EWX program is designed to support traditional summer internships, as well as part-time work experience while students are attending classes.This provides students with an opportunity to gain work experience with local technology companies and to distinguish themselves before graduation. The program is supported by many of Oregon’s technology companies that are located in the Portland metropolitan region.
We use a careful selection process for admission to the program. Once admitted, students receive training, may participate in workshops, and receive mentoring to help them prepare for job applications. After a student is hired, they are monitored during their work experience to ensure the experience helps them learn about the practice of engineering and that companies are receiving valuable contributions from the students.
In order to apply to the MME EWX Program, students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Enrolled in Master's or BS program in ECE or MME
- Undergraduate students must be in enrolled in or have completed ME 313, ME 314, ME 350 and ME 351 or ME 320, ME 321, ME 322 and ME 350
- Graduate not earlier then Fall 2013
- International Students must be eligible to work in the United States
- Due Date: 1 Feb 2013
- Submit the following materials to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ (Subject: EWX Application)
- Resume (single page)
- Cover letter (include GPA, Interests, Major, Expected graduation date)
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter(s) of recommendation (optional)
You will receive notification of you acceptance status not later than 15 Feb 2013.
- Achieve ‘Work Ready’ status. Varies by student and could consist of:
- Attend workshops (interviews, job searching, project management)
- Consultation with Frank Goovaerts
- Apply for internships (competitive, like any real world job application; typically between you and the employer)
- Intranet.cecs.pdx.edu/careers for job postings (EWX tag). Sign up by visiting the web site today!
- Once you accept a job offer, submit the details to ‘email@example.com’ (Subject: EWX Details)
During the Internship
- Apply what you have learned in class, learn new things, and enjoy the challenges
- Represent yourself and PSU professionally
- Know when to ask for help
- Provide status to PSU
At Internship Conclusion
Participate in exit survey
- Interviews and requests for a FERPA waiver may follow
- Acceptance does not guarantee internship placement
- Students accepted to the EWX program are encouraged to apply to other engineering work experience offerings.