How to Apply
*Please note that in Spring 2016 we will be recruiting students from all majors for our 2016-2017 program.
- Review the Eligibility Requirements and FAQ page.
- Complete the Portland State University Ronald E. McNair Scholars Electronic Application Form. (Please check back during Spring Term to access our electronic application form.)
- Write your Educational & Career Essay (see electronic application for details) & upload it to your electronic application.
- Include a list of Extracurricular Activities with your electronic application.
- Upload a copy of your 2015 tax forms (if self-supporting) or parent(s)’ 2015 tax forms (if dependent) to your electronic application.
- Upload your current Official PSU Transcript to your electronic application.
- Provide contact information for three references who will be providing letters of reference pertaining to your academic activities. After you submit your application, your references will receive a link to upload their recommendation letters.
- Two references must be from professors. A letter from a professor in your major is ideal. Letters from immediate family members are not acceptable.
Please send email to the Associate Program Director, Dr. Jolina Kwong Caputo, if you have any questions or need assistance with applying for the program. Paper copies of the application are also available upon request.