Sometimes you attempt to register for a course and you receive the message “You do not meet the pre-requisite requirements...” Follow the steps below to resolve the problem:
- Verify the prerequisites for the course in question.
How? On the online class schedule click on the course title to see the course prerequisites.
- If you have taken the prerequisites at a different university or you have taken AP exams, then we need to verify that information.
How? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- An electronic, unofficial copy of your transcript or AP scores. The copy of your transcripts should show your name, university name and term you have taken the course(s). Do not “cut and paste” the information on a word document. You can save the document as a PDF file or capture the screen if you can access your transcripts online or take a picture or scan a paper transcript and send it as an attachment to your email.
- Your PSU student number.
- The course and term you want to register for.
Upon receiving the complete information (do not forget your PSU student number) we will make an override for the course so you can register online using your myPSU account. You will receive an email confirming the override is in place.
- If you need to take the placement test please visit www.pdx.edu/math/placement for the complete instructions on how to use ALEKS, the placement test. If you have questions about ALEKS please contact the placement coordinator Austina Fong, email@example.com.
- If you are taking a course this term at a different university and this course is a prerequisite of a course you need to take at PSU next term then, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your class schedule and your PSU student number. We will make an override for you.
- If a Course Reference Number (CRN) has a "C" in place of the select box in the online class schedule then, the course is closed or full. If the course waitlist REM (remaining) column indicates that seats remain, you may be able to place yourself on the waitlist. Please write down the CRN and return to the Registration Menu (Student Services > Registration). Instead of selecting "Look-up classes to add", choose "Add/Drop classes" and follow the instructions on the screen to enter the CRN and add yourself to the waitlist. PSU has an automated wait-list system so you will be notified through email (pdx email account) when an open slot is available. You will have twenty-four hour to register, after that you will be dropped from the wait-list. In the event that classes start and you are still in the wait-list attend the first day of classes. The instructor may allow you to enter the course. You will need to bring to class a Special Registration Form for the instructor to sign it if he/she accepts you into the course. The Math and Stat department will have to stamp the form as well. You could download the form from http://www.pdx.edu/registration/admissions-registration-and-records-forms.
- Some of the Stat 243 and Stat 244 sections are lecture-recitation courses. In this class model the professor presents material to the students in the class (150/225/270 students), who then break up into smaller groups (25/30 students) to meet with a recitation instructor for individual help with questions, homework, exam prep, etc. This is different from a "stand alone or traditional" class, in which you meet with a single instructor in a group of 40 students or more all the time.
Hence the requirement when registering for the "lecture" portion of the class that you, at the same time, also register for a "recitation" corresponding to the lecture chosen. Each lecture of 225/270 students has nine recitation sections of 25/30 students each. Lectures of 150 students have six recitation sections of 25 students each.
Click here for the instructions on how to register for Stat 243/244.