Dear faculty and staff,
On Wednesday December 18, 2013, the Desire2Learn platform will be upgraded from version 9.4 to 10.2. This upgrade will affect ALL users of the PSU learning management system. The impact of this upgrade will be minimal. All existing course content, structure and tools will automatically migrate to the new version. During the upgrade, D2L will be offline for the entire day. D2L will be online again on Thursday December 19, 2013.
The upgrade will:
1. improve the user interface and functionality of core applications,
2. provide a platform for new D2L features in the future, and
3. increase the ability to access D2L with mobile devices (tablets in particular)
Together with this upgrade we will:
1. improve the existing D2L tutorials for faculty and students
2. improve the look and feel of the D2L login page to ensure easier access to these tutorials
To ensure that everyone at PSU is as informed as possible we have prepared the resources listed below.
What can you do?
1. Stay up-to-date by visiting the "Platform Updates" section on the Office of Academic Innovation's (OAI) weblog. Please bookmark this blog, subscribe to its RSS feed or enroll for updates via email.
2. Learn more about the upgrade:
- Check out the self-paced, online tutorial (5min) for an overview of the changes. Additional short D2L Upgrade video tutorials will be posted in November.
- Watch additional video tutorials about specific changes or read our blog post with screenshots comparing the current and new versions
- Attend one of the weekly hands-on D2L Upgrade Workshops in November & December. These workshops will focus on the specific new features in D2L 10.2. All workshops are co-facilitated by OIT and OAI. Please check the workshop dates in attachment or visit the schedule and enrollment steps here.
3. Prepare for the upgrade:
- Plan to have your winter D2L course(s) ready to go before the upgrade date of December 18th. The Winter Course Shells are available in D2L now. This upgrade should not impact the content of your courses, but if you make your changes now, before the upgrade, you╒ll be making them in a familiar environment.
- Do not plan any activities in D2L on December 18. D2L will be offline for 24h that day. There will be NO possibility to access D2L during the upgrade process.
4. Review your courses after the upgrade
- Immediately after the upgrade is completed, you should review your D2L courses to check for any problems. If so, please contact support services for further assistance. We ensure additional support capacity during and after the Holidays.
For questions or concerns about this upgrade, do not hesitate to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your support,
Johannes De Gruyter
Interim Director Pedagogy and Platform
Office of Academic Innovation
Office of Information Technology